General Uno Selecta - to buy or not to buy

Currently reading:
General Uno Selecta - to buy or not to buy

I am thinking seriously of buying a low mileage Mk2 Uno to add to my Fiat collection. I have found a nice looking 70 Selecta but am a bit hesitant only because of the CVT transmission. Should I go for it?

Went ahead and bought it! Love the car so far. Changed the transmission oil today. The old stuff had obviously been in for years and the box was also slightly overfilled. Used the genuine Tutela NG and what a difference it's made. Everything works much more smoothly and quietly. Really drives well now.

I am gradually going all over the car checking and correcting minor issues. Couldn't understand why it had no central locking when brochure and spec booklet said this was standard on 70 Selecta. Took front door cards off today and found the wiring had been disconnected from the lock motors and zip tied up inside doors. Reconnected and all worked except rear n/s door where I found the rod between the lock and locking button had come out of a plastic clip and was binding on the window regulator metal work. This caused the lock mechanism to be very stiff and to keep resetting the central locking solenoid. Some mechanic in the distant past must presumably have disconnected the whole thing as an easy fix! Anyway, now have central locking working perfectly on all 4 doors. Highly chuffed!

Back