Technical Punto won't always start

Currently reading:
Technical Punto won't always start

Pedro Gonzales

Hello All,
I live in Australia and have a 2007 Punto 1.3L diesel that fails to start every so often (around 1 in 12 starts). It never occurs when it is cold started, only after I have driven for 15-20 minutes and stop to go to the shops and then try to start it again. It's been happening for around 6 months and when it first started, there was a continuous clicking noise when the key was turned. Initially the mobile mechanic said the battery was on the way out, so I replaced it, but it didn't solve the problem. The next time it happened (and then started) I drove it straight to a mechanic and he said the fuel injectors needed soaking / cleaning, but this didn't solve the problem either, although the clicking noise has stopped and there is silence when the key is turned.
While writing this, I recall the left rear indicator isn't working as the globe keeps blowing but all other lights are ok.
Could it be the starter motor or solenoid that is next on my list to have looked at?? I look forward to your thoughts.

Thanks
Peter

I would put money on that being an electrical defect. Check all your fuses and relays as a first step, also the battery main earth cable and the engine main earth cable. Remove, clean thoroughly and refit preferably with new nuts and bolts.

Thanks, roland.

Appreciate your feedback - will suggest this to the mechanic when I take it in.

Cheers
Peter

I now recall having starter solenoid trouble on my petrol 55 when not far off new, when I stripped the starter I could find nothing wrong with it except the piston in the solenoid did not move as freely as I would like, and at times especially when warm it would not restart as the pinion would not engage. A cleanup and a rub with very fine emery cloth fixed it, at least 20 years ago now.

Thanks, Roland.

I thought it may have something to do with the starter motor / solenoid as the problem only occurs when it is warm and only occasionally.

You've been a great help - thanks, again.

Peter

Back