Technical Tyre help

Currently reading:
Technical Tyre help

Looking for the right tyres for my 1970 500L and with new tyres do I need to get the inner tube things ? Thanks for help as the tyres on mine at mo look like they had their day

The original wheels on that car would have run on something like the tire at this link: https://www.fiat500ricambi.com/fiat500/Tires+-+Rims/WL1001/?

These are tires that require inner tubes to be fitted because the wheels don't hold an airtight tubeless seal safely. There are more modern wheels that accept more modern tubeless tires, if you prefer that. But of course then you're into new wheels to go with your new tires. I'm running with the original wheels and new old-style tires with inner tubes, because my car doesn't go fast enough for any of this to matter!

Uaglio is absolutely correct. If you are using original wheels you must use a tube in your tyre. A modern wheel has a 'lip' built into it which holds the bead of a tubeless tyre in place---the original Fiat 500 wheels do not have that 'lip', hence the requirement of the tube. The original tyre size was:--125 x 12, but you can safely go up to 135 x 12, which puts just a little more rubber on the road, and VERY slightly increase your final-drive ratio--engine will turn slightly slower for the same speed, but watch for a slight difference in speed accuracy.

Help again , what’s the missing number I am being asked for
125/R12/62S or 125/R12/80S thanks again

According to "Axel Gerstl" (who has the tyres in stock)--it is a:--125 x 12/62S

Hi

At Longstone Tyres we have Michelin inner tubes.

Currently the only proper tyre is the 125SR12 Michelin X

However the good news is that all being well (Covid19 allowing) we have been told by Pirelli that we will receivce our first delivery of the new batch of proper Pirelli 125R12 Cinturato tyres in April. I will post again when they get here.

Agree with above. You must use tubes with original rims
Does anyone have a source for a fair price wide white wall tire. I have used atlas inserts. ( very tricky and finicky on such a tiny tire ) I can’t get my head around paying 300 from Coker for a 12 inch tire.

Non of the white walls i have been involved with have been any good in the 125R12 size. they just go yellow and crack.

I'm also not a big fan of the flap as well. again they go yellow and split.

I do however deal with a German company who can cut into the side wall of a tyre and replace it with white rubber. this is by far the best solution when a proper white wall is not made by a proper tyre brand.

Until recenly the 125R12 Cinturato was made by Formula. However now it will be a proper Pirelli and the German company will only build white walls into top brand tyres. so we can get it done to the Michelin X as well if you like.

Contact Longstone Tyres

Help again , what’s the missing number I am being asked for
125/R12/62S or 125/R12/80S thanks again

125R12 62S
125mm wife
R=radial
12” rim
62= load rating.
S= 112mph speed rating.

I think the 80 that arisen in the second description is the aspect ratio. Ie side wall height which is normally given as a percentage. For example 195/65R15. The tyre is 195mm wife. The height of the side wall is 65% of 195mm

In the case of the 125R12 it is a tyre that was developed before there was an option of different aspect ratios. So I’m modern terms it’s full name could be 125/80R12 62S. Because the height of the side wall is 80% of 125mm.

Currently I think the only proper tyre that is available is the 125R12 Michelin X.

However the plan is that in the middle of April we should have the Original Pirell Cinturato in stock.

I am hoping to receive my first delivery of the new Pirelli 125R12 Cinturato CN54 next week.

https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/125sr12-cinturato-cn54.html

I'm sure people get away with running without inner tubes on these tube type wheels, however it isn't recomended. For instance, i have a 1972 Pirelli fitment guide, and it states that even in 1972, Pirelli were suggesting that you needed to fit an inner tube on the wheel of a Fiat 500.

It is the wheel that determines that an inner tube should be used regardless of weather it is a tubeless tyre or not.

I wonder what an insurance companies position would be on not having an inner tube in a wheel that is designed to be fitted with an inner tube?

Oh that is probably the best name I have ever heard. I’m going to change my name and copy yours. It is just too cool for school!

So white wall tyres are tricky, awful and a complete pain in the a##e I hate them, they are so difficult to deal with. I deal with all the best manufacturers. I am a major advocate of Michelin and Pirelli because I just sell them and never hear about them again. If I hear anything it is only “Oo those tyres you fitted on my car we’re great” or “well you told me my car would drive better on the Pirelli and although it cost more I’m so glad I bought them the steering is quicker and more precise on a proper classic tyre” etc.

Complaints are such a massive fag. If I encourage people to fit Michelin and Pirelli the only complain I hear is about their credit card bill but that is soon forgotten.

However white wall tyres are a night mare. And I don’t even like them, specially on European sports cars. The sales I have missed out on by scoffing at people who try to ruin the look and drive of an e type Jag by fitting white wall tyres. I often have white wall tyres turn up at our shed with black smudges on the white wall before even get hold of they are flawed . The handling of the majority of white wall tyres out there is dreadful. The cheapo 125-12 tyres that we sold a while ago generally came back under complaint so we stopped selling them.

However what I am trying to do is offer a genuine Pirelli Cinturato with a white wall built into the tyre. This white walling technique that is being done is the best I have seen. Better than most white walls that come out of the factory. But the whit wall tyres out there if they get a white wall that looks good it never drives like a quality tyre such as Pirelli or Michelin. What I want to offer is a Pirelli with a white wall.

I have sent a white walled Pirelli tyre to Pirelli to be quality checked to see if they are happy for it still to be called a Pirelli.

Watch this space.

So, just to be 100% clear, you don't like white wall tyres then :bang: :eek: :D

Look forward to hearing the updates!

Back