Technical Timing belt now dosent start

Currently reading:
Technical Timing belt now dosent start

Harry longhurst

Hi I have a 1.9 150bhp diesel fiat bravo and within a week of owning it I was in petrol station filling up and started it up and timing belt snapped , so I got it to my place and I got a belt , set the timing up and replaced the belt , locked the camshaft up exhaust side through the Allen bolt bung , and then locked the crank up with the locking tool , set the belt on all okay and tensioned? 1st question is does the fuel pump need to be timed? Or not ?
Anyhow I i tensioned the belt and tried to start but I’m not having any luck the car will not start and it coughs and splutters , it’s firing as if it wants to start but nothing will not stay running , I plugged my ethos into it and it says there’s a problem with the phase/camshaft sensor? Would this cause it not to start? And has anyone had this issue before? And have I done everything correct , please let me know as I’m new to fiats and I’m clueless
Thanks

I dont think the fuel pump needs to timed. I didn't do it on my engine but that is mjt 1,9 120hp. But I doubt it would be different on yours.

That’s what I thought it’s only high pressure diseal pump , did I do everything correct?

That’s what I thought it’s only high pressure diseal pump , did I do everything correct?
I must say I'm not an expert on changing the cam belt I only done it one time. The only thing I could think is that eather the cam sensor broke somehow when the belt snapped, or it is like Davren says something wrong in the engine.

I believe its an interface engine.

Unfortunately that means piston crowns meet valves when the belt snaps, and the valves lose.

That means bent valve stems, no compression, and bad running. You will more than likely need a full head rebuild

Just took the rocker off and found 7 broken rockers , replaced the rockers and still it dosent start , it started normally and sounded normal but then just died and won’t start again

Check the rockers again. If valves had bent, the new rockers may have broken again.
Remember which ones had broken, check valve stem height, if bent they'll be lower than the others.

You also need to recheck the cam timing. You may have found holes for the holding tools, but there may be alternatives. Need a workshop manual or similar to determine correct timing positions.

Autodata, or cam belt manufacturers websites may show such detail if no manual is available.

Checked the rockers again and they are all still fine and valve stem height all good and the holes for the locking tools are spot on checked auto data etc but still no life at all

A recap.

Cambelt broke on garage forecourt, so tickover or engine slow speed.
New belt, timed correctly, checked again.
Changed the broken rockers.
Started once, ran ok for a few seconds, then stopped.

Questions:
1. Why did cambelt snap?
Was it old.
How did it break? Teeth stripped, or belt actually broken. If broken, any teeth stripped. Are they near the break, or elsewhere?
What else does the belt drive? Obviously high pressure pump. Water pump?
Is high pressure pump actually doing anything? Is it being fed with fuel from the lift pump? Is water pump failing, if relevant.

2. Is fuel getting to the high pressure pump?

3. Are the injectors firing?

4. Is there a fuel cut-off solenoid - if so, is it working. (I'd guess not, as should be no need with electronic injection.

There might be more questions, need someone with more diesel experience to chip in.

Back