General The latest addition - MK1 Punto 60 Team

Currently reading:
General The latest addition - MK1 Punto 60 Team

Already posted over in the FS section - but here too!

Just bought myself another MK1 Punto - bit of a find on ebay, advertised earlier in the year for the best part of £700 I picked this up for £350. Managed to find a transporter heading up past Warrington on his way back to Aberdeen (which I found out after) so got it transported to Dundee to Simons. He was chuffed to have another Mk1 in his drive with his Exploit Punto away for paint...

So....the pains a bit rubbish (roof, boot lid, door & bonnet) and it literally needs two wee bits of welding an a handbrake cable for its MOT...that aside its running on a genuine 38,000 miles. It's sweet as a nut, drives like new and looks to have been a well cared for motor.

Not planning on any mods - already its had ELX wheel trims fitted, a standard stereo - though it doesnt light up. Need to get her MOT'd and Painted before the SICD in May and other than that, I'm on the hunt for some GT or possibly Coupe alloys. Typically my pal Andrew literally binned a set a month back having asked for the umpteenth time "are you SURE you don't want these?"

Oh...and it's got a WORKING Meta alarm. Genuinely chuffed with this one!

Attachments

• petrol station.jpg
    petrol station.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 85
  • engine.jpg
    engine.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 347
  • Stereo.jpg
    Stereo.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 183
  • weldy 2.jpg
    weldy 2.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 92
  • 20190405_080610.jpg
    20190405_080610.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 82
Last edited:
Haha I know!

So today...not a lot achieved. But a bit.

Gave Betsy a quick vac. May yet remove the rear seat to shampoo and vac as its covered in dog hair. Will see.

Took the car out to see Ransoman out in Westhill. It was in good company!

Got my private plates made up at Autosave. The V5 is yet to appear but Im ready for when it does. On the way back we stopped at his inlaws to inspect a few parts...

Been offered a deal on a few front end pieces. Hopefully most will never be needed but the sporting bumper, headlights and fogs are vaguely tempting. I also acquired a gt centre console but not sure I want to fit it.

120 miles in and shes running fine. Need to get some new struts for the tailgate as theyre a bit on the slow side...but thats an easy fix.

Attachments

• 20190407_135611.jpg
    20190407_135611.jpg
    6.7 MB · Views: 66
  • 20190407_150612.jpg
    20190407_150612.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 39
  • 20190407_154541.jpg
    20190407_154541.jpg
    7.2 MB · Views: 75
  • 20190407_161323.jpg
    20190407_161323.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 43
I fitted some BMW original equipment alloy wheels from a 325AE auto limited edition, using a set of 'pitch circle variation' wheel bolts. these sound dodgy and may not be quite legal, but as the wheel is located by the central hub spigot and is firmly clamped against the hub or brake drum I see no chance of the wheel coming off or working loose. They are 14" rims and take 185/195 14R tyres which do clear the arches adequately, and 14" is in the list of homologated wheel sizes for this car.

Nice find..

Dont wander too far from standard.. :)

Alfa 145alloys may suit it though..

Charlie

Haha thanks. She got a bath and a vac today. All being good gonna meet with Simon and get pics of the two mk1s together.

Plan is to keep as OEM/OEM plus as possible. Ransom did mention 145 alloys but Im probably gonna hold out for Sportings...maybe Coupes at a stretch. A mate of mine had a similar mk1 with Coupes years back when I had my first Punto and I was jealous...

Not going to colour code...tidy up and preserve ?

Last edited:
Some of the parts are here.

Got a set of sporting alloys at my dads. May have them powdercoated eventually but for now theyll do. Cars away for a bit of work so we'll see how she is next week!

Attachments

• 20190419_181631.jpg
    20190419_181631.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 37
Reactions: lkc
Well see if its right. She'll need a run when back so may see if youre about.

This thing was too goo an opportunity to pass on. Im hoping I dont regret it lol

QUOTE=lkc;4476837]I'm so glad you've caught the fiat bug again. Simon is such a good influence on you (y)

Really looking forward to seeing this in the metal eventually[/QUOTE]

Ah is this the one Gavin picked up for a mystery buyer recently??

wheel wise, i think if you stick to something stock fiat and 14 or 15 inch most of the options will look ok. I have some 15" coupe wheels that i dont need if your interested..
These ones, always thought they would look great on a mk1 and wanted some when i had my GT but couldnt find any for sale back then.
View attachment 199951
I would just need to take the winter tyres off as i wanna keep them. The wheels themselves do need a refurb but i got them cheap thus will sell cheap. And to be totally open and honest, the lads who fit the tyres for me said one of them had an ever so slight buckle but it balanced fine. I whacked it on the back and unless you go over 110mph (on a private test track of course) you can't tell at all, above and there is a slight vibration. Drop me a PM or something if you are interested.

I've done 380 ish miles in Betsy - so far, so good! (y)

She's due her MOT on Saturday so I've a trip to the garage to make tonight - they already know she needs a couple of spots welded and the handbrake cable (which I have) swapped. As long as she's back for next week and SICD then that's all good.

With a change in shift at work I haven't had much time to spend cleaning/fettling or even driving so when I went to fire her up yesterday to my utter shock & horror, she was suffering from flattinus batteryus. 10 seconds and a quick jump start later all was well.

We had a bit of a mini FIAT meet out in Ellon, trying to make our minds up what to do with poor old yellow. While there I thought it'd be nice to put the GT alloys I bought onto betsy...problem being, the wheel bolts I bagged (marked up for Punto mk2) only give 2 or 3 threads at best...not at all convinced they're safe/will hold so need suggestions on solutions so I can get my alloys on for next week

Otherwise life with a FIAT is good. Again :slayer:

Reactions: lkc
And our survey says...

Do not drive until repaired (dangerous defects):
Nearside Front Suspension spring mounting prescribed area is corroded to the extent that control of the vehicle is likely to be adversely affected lower spring seat on strut (5.3.6 (a) (ii))

Repair immediately (major defects):
Nearside Rear Seat belt anchorage prescribed area strength or continuity significantly reduced (7.1.1 (a) (i))

Offside Rear Seat belt anchorage prescribed area strength or continuity significantly reduced (7.1.1 (a) (i))

Nearside Rear Service brake effort inadequate at a wheel (1.2.1 (a) (i))

Offside Rear Service brake effort inadequate at a wheel (1.2.1 (a) (i))

Nearside Rear Parking brake inoperative on one side (1.4.1 (a))

Parking brake efficiency below requirements (1.4.2 (a) (i))

Monitor and repair if necessary (advisories):

Front Exhaust mounting defective support corroded (6.1.2 (a))

Offside Rear Shock absorbers light misting of oil or has limited damping
effect (5.3.2 (b))

Rear Coil spring corroded both (5.3.1 (b) (i))

Bar the front suspension, all known issues. Not going to cost the earth to put right. Can't wait to get her back! :slayer:

Back