General New hood

Currently reading:
General New hood

Robsbarch

It's time for a new roof for my B, as the one I have is starting to rip at the seems. Have been looking at previous posts particularly posts by Noideadave (great how to guide by the way thanks for sharing). Thanks to this will probably buy one and try to to fit it myself. Have seen that Noideadave got his from razortop on eBay so will probably get it from there myself unless anyone has got any other suggestions. Just a couple of questions
1. Do I need anything else apart from the new roof any new rubbers, new tension cords etc.. or will the old ones be ok?
2. Debating whether to go for green tint instead of original clear on back screen any suggestions?

Thanks
Rob

Mine needs a new hood, too, but it's some way down the list of the other more essential jobs that need doing. :(

Try to reuse the rubbers, as replacements are increasingly hard to source, and wickedly expensive.

Re the green tint, I'd keep mine as original as possible, but if you're going for a tint, why not try to match the slight tint of the windscreen and side windows?

Last edited:
Yeah I have been looking at the rubbers can't believe how expensive they are, haven't had a good look at mine yet, but I'm hoping they are ok so that I can 're use them. Regarding the back window, I have the same thoughts keep it as original as poss, but seeing that most sellers are selling with green tint am debating whether it is the better option. I think the green tint does match the side and front windows.

Thanks dave for the advice, think my frame is fine, have no water coming in at present so will leave well alone. Did you get the roof with green tint on back window or just normal clear? Just want to know if the green matches the side windows.

I just got the plain but make sure you use at least a 65mm tube to place in the folded window when you drop the hood or it will collapse and crease in hot weather,mine did a little.

I use a length of polyethylene foam pipe insulator that does the trick very nicely (y)

Last edited:
I have just spoken to carhoods about getting one fitted and they want 376 for the hood and 400 for fitting all plus vat so the total cost is £930 quid plus a trip up to Scotland.

I have seen the razortops hoods on ebay but I don't know if they are pvc or mohair, I can't seem to translate it well enough.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/162521713940

Monsoon automotive seem to do a mohair one as well for about £380.

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
They are easy to fit, you sort of lean the fitting method during the process of taking the old one off. Just make sure you have all the parts you need, check the cable that goes over the side window, they sometimes have broken. I used cycle brake cable to replace.

Ordered mine today from razortops (sonenland), did quite a bit of research especially on the German forum and they rate it highly.

I use a length of polyethylene foam pipe insulator that does the trick very nicely (y)
Definitely going to give this a try once i get the new top on. nice idea! The top I have now is very creased, didn't know about putting tubing in between the folded window until Dave mentioned it on here.

Yes the one for 330 euros I've gone with the green tinted back window which is 20 euros extra.

I ordered the 'normal' one. I was hoping to fit it over the Easter period but it looks like it won't be delivered till after that.

No doubt one of us will be asking questions about fitting it :)

It arrived this morning. That's not bad is it 2 days to deliver from Germany.
Looks like that's my weekend sorted now, I was going to fit it over Easter but I can see a change of plan coming up.

Back