Technical Qubo Spare Wheel

Currently reading:
Technical Qubo Spare Wheel

peterholden

Please can someone tell my what size spare wheel I need for my 13 plate Mylife with 16" alloy wheels. It has to fit under the boot floor.

Thanks

Peter

Just look at what's on the car, that will fit and be a better alternative than a space saver or the gloop plus inflator your car probably came with...

Then you'll need a spare wheel mounting kit which is 3 steel stand-off brackets that mount on the already-there studs under the boot floor and a wind-up unit that similarly mounts underneath and a plastic 'bolt' that holds the wheel onto the unit for winding it up under the floor. It's a different bolt for the alloy wheel from the steel wheel.
Check out the scrappers for an appropriate alloy but don't buy the wind up unit from a scrapper as chances are it'll have the internal cable all screwed up, as I found, having bought one and having to chuck it.
The only way the unit can be used properly is with the weight of a wheel on it as the internal mechanism relies on the weight for the cable to wind round an internal drum, otherwise it just goes all over the place inside and is then useless.

I think the whole lot (winder unit and stand-offs, probably with a jack too) is available as a kit but fyi here is the winder unit, at the best price of £75 (when in stock) as it's usually £99-£125. You'll need a scissor jack and wheel wrench too.. I got the stand-offs from S G Petch (I think) but look at fiatalfaparts as they had some useful things.
Most Citroen and Peugeot parts are interchangeable with the Fiat and in quite a few cases only available for the French makes, not the Fiat (like mudflaps!)

HTH

R-V-M

Please can someone tell my what size spare wheel I need for my 13 plate Mylife with 16" alloy wheels. It has to fit under the boot floor.

Thanks

Peter

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Thanks

I am not sure if the 16" wheel and tyre fit under the floor. I have the 16" wheel from our Berlingo but the tyre is a 215 x55 x16.

Will just have to try it.

I did find an old reply that says a 195 x 65 x 15 is almost the same size and they are common nemo/bipper/fiorin/qubo wheels

Peter

Does anyone know if the Doblo 15" wheel is the same as the Fiorino/Qubo 15" wheel?

Thanks

Peter

Good morning
Looking for some help again please.
I have the spare wheel winch and a spare wheel is on its way.

But I need the 3 standoffs, can someone please provide me with the part numbers and possibly photos or dimensions so that if I cannot buy them easily i can make them.

Thanks

Peter

Here you are. eBay item number 282050839664

How come I can find all these things so easily?!

R-V-M

The spare wheel winch arrived today and it was jammed.

Having taken it to pieces I now understand how it works, I have unjammed it tried it on the bench and jammed it again. I have freed it off again and understand why it jams.

On the one that I have it appears that if you wind it rigght up without the wheel on the cable jams at the end on the cable spool. In my case the answer will be not to wind it up without the wheel on..

Peter

I think this was all covered in reply #2 !!

R-V-M

"In my case the answer will be not to wind it up without the wheel on.."

What a horrendous price for 3 bits of bent metal.

I shall either but 2nd hand or make my own.

Peter

you must ALWAYS have weight on the cable when winding it up or down or the cable will go slack and get damaged in the winder mechanism. One top is to pull on the cable if you want to either unwind it or wind it without wheel attached. as long as cable is pulled and tension kept on it there wont be any issues!

Collected a sparewheel and the bracket/spacer thngies today from our local screappie. The brackets are not in the best condition but the are good for using as a pattern to make some from some flat strip.
Thanks for all the help and encouragement

Peter

Sorry to butt it!
We recently bought a brand new Qubo Lounge and paid for a factory fitted full sized spare wheel as an optional extra. The car has 195/55 R16 alloys but found out today after a puncture, that the spare wheel is actually a 185/65 R15 steel with a speed restriction (presumably because of the different wheel size).
Not happy and will be contacting the Fiat dealer tomorrow.
We've had a Qubo before and post fitted a spare wheel carrier so I was particularly interested to read your comment that the bracket for the alloy and steel wheels is different. Initially I thought the carrier cable/bracket had been updated and I was just finding the new bracket more fiddly - ended up putting the damaged tyre in the back and tying the cable to the towbar as I didn't want to risk winding it back 'untensioned'.
The Fiat dealer we use is really good but, in anticipation of being fobbed off, is it unreasonable to expect i) a full sized spare to be the same size as those fitted to the car and ii) for the factory fitted carrier bracket to be suitable for both the car wheels and the spare supplied with it?
Do you know if it is possible to change the bracket on the cable to fit our alloys - we still have a compatible alloy from our old Qubo that was written off.
Appreciate your thoughts. Thanks.

Hi Sue,

When I bought a new Fiorino (2012) I specified a spare wheel to be fitted but the van had steels all round so the spare was the same as the other four.

Now on my 3rd Qubo (2 earlier models and now a 66 plate Lounge) I learn (from chats on here) that the wheel stand-off mounts are at a slightly different spacing on just one leg and the writer had modified the existing leg (stretching it I think? Or drilling through the floor and putting a bolt down to meet the leg..)
From previous discussions about spare wheels (it's an endless theme on here because of the the cost of the suspension kit, the wheel etc. which when on a new ordered car is £90 and if buying separate parts is about £400) and talking to a dealer, the retainers for the wheel are the variable whether steel or alloy and to reinforce that, here is a picture of the two variables!
IMG_3111.jpg One is longer than the other and from memory the long one is for the alloy, presumably because the wheel's inside dish is deeper. I can only find one though and I'm sure two are required as the shorter ones came as a pair (part number visible)

You had a wheel from me Sue (alloy?), via eBay about 2 years ago? I remember the distance it had to travel..

Hope that helps somewhat :)
R-V-M

Sorry to butt in!
We recently bought a brand new Qubo Lounge and paid for a factory fitted full sized spare wheel as an optional extra. The car has 195/55 R16 alloys but found out today after a puncture, that the spare wheel is actually a 185/65 R15 steel with a speed restriction (presumably because of the different wheel size).
Not happy and will be contacting the Fiat dealer tomorrow.
We've had a Qubo before and post fitted a spare wheel carrier so I was particularly interested to read your comment that the bracket for the alloy and steel wheels is different. Initially I thought the carrier cable/bracket had been updated and I was just finding the new bracket more fiddly - ended up putting the damaged tyre in the back and tying the cable to the towbar as I didn't want to risk winding it back 'untensioned'.
The Fiat dealer we use is really good but, in anticipation of being fobbed off, is it unreasonable to expect i) a full sized spare to be the same size as those fitted to the car and ii) for the factory fitted carrier bracket to be suitable for both the car wheels and the spare supplied with it?
Do you know if it is possible to change the bracket on the cable to fit our alloys - we still have a compatible alloy from our old Qubo that was written off.
Appreciate your thoughts. Thanks.

Hello R-V-M, I still have your wheel (was so grateful you sent it) and I suspect it's going to come in useful again! When our old Qubo was written off earlier this year 'your' spare was sitting in the boot - it was one of the few things we could rescue before it was towed away!
Looking at the manual there is an adapter (eventually found in the bag of tools) which fixes to the existing 'steel wheel' bracket to accommodate the alloy, just trying to find out from the dealer if this is OK to use permanently, as opposed to just for the short time a steel spare is on the vehicle. Once I get the OK will be putting it back on as our spare and mothballing the steel one.

hi
I have 17'' alloys on mine and have a 15'' steel as the spare
The rolling radius is the same for the spare due to the size of the tyre that is fitted to the steel wheel
It is a full size spare
LUIGI

Thanks Luigi, I'm happy (!) that the tyre is safe, my issue is that I wanted a spare tyre that was not for short term use/speed restricted - in that respect the steel one I have is little better than a skinny/space saver. Hoping to be able to use the alloy off my old car, just waiting for dealer to say it will be OK.

Back