General Brake Drum and Shoes need replacing?

Currently reading:
General Brake Drum and Shoes need replacing?

rundle123

Hello again guys, went to get brake fluid changed this morn, Halfords also carried out a free brake check, said to me that my brake drums needed replacing as well as the rear brake shoes, I will say the brake drums do look very rusty and could most likely do with a change, however they’ve quoted me £400 to do both! I couldn’t pay that, I had a little look online about changing them, parts aren’t too expensive and it doesn’t look too hard, but that could just be different when I come to do it lol, anyone have any more info or help as to what I could do if I do come to fit them.

Thanks

Yeah the front ones are all good as they are the discs, they said they would check the brakes anyhow as that’s what I was booked in for originally

It was just the back ones he mentioned to me that needed replacing, he said the shoes were at the minimum and then said the brake drum was at the max? He said that it would cost more as there is a bearing that comes with the drum also?

Thanks

Had similar with our Seicento..

Ended up with a similar bill.. but it was there for an out of time MOT..

So had little option.

You have time to shop around.. ;)

Generally the rears take @ 40,000 miles from max to min. What has the car covered?

Ah that’s fair enough! Yeah gonna have to look around last option I’ll do it myself if not!

I’ve owned it from 80k but not sure if they have been changed before then, I doubt it as the last person that had it covered a lot of miles in a few months[emoji31] reckon it will be due a change

He said that it would cost more as there is a bearing that comes with the drum also?

Are we sure that you need also new bearings? As I saw on YouTube, drum can be removed by unscrewing 2 small screws...it has nothing to do with bearing... I have PuntoIII, maybe EVO is different. Another thing are shoes - to replace them you need to unscrew big center nut which is holding bearing, but bearing can be re-used again I think...

Are we sure that you need also new bearings? As I saw on YouTube, drum can be removed by unscrewing 2 small screws...it has nothing to do with bearing... I have PuntoIII, maybe EVO is different. Another thing are shoes - to replace them you need to unscrew big center nut which is holding bearing, but bearing can be re-used again I think...

I’m not sure I do really, he told me that if he were to order new drums there’s a bearing or something that comes with it? I had a fiesta that’s wheel bearings were going and they made a huge noise like a bike, but I don’t hear that.

Want to do it myself as doesn’t seem too difficult just want to know what he meant by the bearing, as nothing on job report about it

Last edited:
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Great video thanks mate, doesn’t look too difficult then really, just need to buy a new set of drums and just put them on like the vid says.

Unsure what to do about bearing really if it doesn’t need replacing

Got it now, brilliant guide will definitely use that one

Last edited:
Rusty drums means nothing..

It is the inside wearing diameter that gets bigger through wear..
What diameter did they measure?

The max. Is cast into the drum ;)

Charlie

Just in case corrosion has obscured the max diameter on the drum itself, this table from the Grande Punto eLEARN may be of use:

ELearnGrandePunto_TechnicalData_DrumBrakes.jpg

The video is from a forum regular.. ;)

Yep that was me. Drum brakes are strangely slightly more complicated than discs usually due to all the springs clips and the handbrake, that said once you’ve sone one, you’ve done them all*

There is no need to replace the bearing if the bearing is ok and usually they are, I did another video once showing the horrible noise made by a dying bearing, you just work around the hub and bearing normally without any issues.

Parts are generally cheap, the process on the grande and evo is very similar to above. My current evo has rear discs so while I intend to change them soon I won’t be making a video that’s helpful to people with drum brakes.... sorry

Thanks for the help everyone, got the parts earlier this week and will be doing it this weekend so will keep you posted how I get on

Rear drum & shoe change is a relatively easy job, even for a novice. A wee tip is to have both rear wheels off along with the drums & do one side at a time & if you you've forgotten what goes where you just check the other side.When you come to do the other side it will be a doddle:D A simple thing to do, but far better than rushing in there & pulling everything apart & realising you've forgot what goes where.:confused:

Serving my time back in the early 70's brakes & more brakes were a big part of my day, every day. I still enjoy the job now. Armed with pain killers, knee pads, my wee stool & of course the right tools & ideally good weather. I'm still a bit of a perfectionist mind, checking other things while I'm at it. :D My wife supplying me with coffee & wondering why I'm taking so long.

Hey everyone managed to get both drums and shoes fitted today myself, not the easiest of things to do but once u get going it went well, car seems to be all good with braking etc, only thing that is different is the handbrake there’s a lot of clicks to get it to properly stop, I’ve had a little play around with the adjuster just behind the handbrake itself not sure if it done much tho, any ideas? thanks

Back