Punto (Mk2/2b) Newbie with question

Currently reading:
Punto (Mk2/2b) Newbie with question

paulmh

Hi all

My Punto Sporting (54 reg) has been sat idle for some time and I just could not get it to start, I eventually burnt out the starter motor..ugh

Had a guy out and we couldn't even bump start it on a tow and he has said it appears that as well as the Starter Motor problem, the Alternator has seized and the belt is pretty much shot too.

Is this going to be an expensive fix? I can get a brand new starter motor for £90 odd so that's ok but wondering what sort of work it entails having it fixed on as well as a new alternator + belt and having that removed and replaced.

It's a second car for us but the missus loves it and doesn't want to let it go and I'm happy enough to spend a bit on it but was wondering what sort of costs I'm looking at.

Thanks all

A new alternator and starter shouldn’t really cost more than a couple of hundred, the killer will be the labour if not doing it yourself. Could turn into a £400-500 bill depending where you take it, which may make the car uneconomical to repair if it’s an aging petrol model.

Hi all

My Punto Sporting (54 reg) has been sat idle for some time and I just could not get it to start, I eventually burnt out the starter motor..ugh

Had a guy out and we couldn't even bump start it on a tow and he has said it appears that as well as the Starter Motor problem, the Alternator has seized and the belt is pretty much shot too.

Is this going to be an expensive fix? I can get a brand new starter motor for £90 odd so that's ok but wondering what sort of work it entails having it fixed on as well as a new alternator + belt and having that removed and replaced.

It's a second car for us but the missus loves it and doesn't want to let it go and I'm happy enough to spend a bit on it but was wondering what sort of costs I'm looking at.

Thanks all

I got an alternator from these guys for my 06 plate MK2B https://www.westlancsautoelectrics.co.uk
It's a dead easy thing to change, 3 bolts and out it comes.
The starter motor, not so sure as I haven't had to change it.

Back