2019-03-07_11_56_40.jpg

JohnDragonMan's Raleigh RM5

Introduction

Hail and welcome all,

When i was young, we went as a family to Turkey, this is back in the late 90s. the locals back then used nothing but small pedal to start mopeds to go everywhere. well as soon as i saw one, i wanted one!
Now some 20 years later (at a grand age of 30) i finally decided to buy one. upon looking for one i found that they were made as far back as the 1940s. with me liking the older style of vehicles i decided to
go for an older bike.
looking around facebook, gumtree, and ebay i finally found one that i liked the look of. eventually winning the auction for £262.77. with me being Derby based and the bike being located in Lester it was only
a 36 minute trip to go and collect it. upon arrival and seeing the bike the tyres were down and front suspension seemed very weak i had no idea if it was normal, or what to expect.
we loaded it into the back of my friends transit connect and headed back home.

when we got to my place, we unloaded the bike and started off with checking the real condition of things. noting snapped rubber bands on the front forks (rubber bands?!) i thought it
was some kind of bodge for missing springs and thought nothing more of it, the engine its self turned free by hand and the compression seemed to be a lot more than i expected. i removed the plastic fuel
reclaiming intake box and spark plug then with the throttle wide open while turning the engine i gave it some good shots of WD-40 down the carb and in the spark plug hole (it may have not needed it, it is
just some thing i do to old stuff thats been stood). at the same time i checked the condition of the spark plug, and noted the impressive spark the coil generated while turning the engine over.
i drained all old fuel which had mostly all evaporated and just left behind the 2-stroke oil from the tank and lazily held the choke one with the throttle wide open and spun the engine over quickly to drain what
i could from the carburettor without removing it (plenty of that will be done at a later date)
whipped up a quick batch of fuel with a pretty rich mixture ratio of 15:1, just to be on the safe side. i hastily poured the mixture in the tank, forgetting that i still had the badly cracked but still fuel tight pipe
disconnected from the carburettor pouring some of the mixture strait into the slip on "Crocs" style suitable footwear i was wearing. noting that error i quickly hit the fuel tap and connected the pipe up to the
carb. i hopped on the bike, held the decompressor back waited for the engine to spool then hit the throttle and in huge bellows of white WD40 smoke the little engine burst into life. after a short warm up it very
easily sustained a smooth idle. both the lights seem to work fine and after a little shot of wd40 into the button switch, even the horn buzzed into life.

Very happy.

i noted that the starting chain and sprockets were very worn, along with a bit of rust on the back of the rear arch where the bottom number plate mount was. it looks like someone used filler on it at some point.
something i never use! The plan is to completely strip the bike to the frame and fully clean, repair and repaint replacing anything that needs it along the way.

keeping with original styles but a future modification will include a rear light upgrade. the 6v system is painful on these kinds of engines. i had a lot of success converting our old Honda MT50 to 12v with little to
no effort. it all depends how the coil is wound and taped from. though i never had to touch the points, i would also consider upgrading to electronic ignition. purely for any future reliability issues. had an old 1958
British seagull engine on a boat once, i was often "dead in the water" (pun intended) due to the points acting up. it was also one of the best upgrades i did on my old Fiat panda that i currently use as a daily.

Anyway, this will be a log of progress and work i do to the RM5... eventually as i currently have another project on the go, something that the moped will be used for. we have an Iveco Daily we are restoring and turning into a camper van
with a garage in the back which will be good for a few small mopeds of this size. thankfully my brother will be doing most of the caper conversion. i am just on rust repair and mechanics work, being Fiat based
i feel right at home.

stay tuned as i will not only be posting photos but also videos to my Youtube channel of the bike :)

Thank you all for looking.
i managed to get some more detailed pictures. you can see the shear amount of filler in the rear mud guard.
i hope to be able to remove the lot and weld up any holes it has. best get the 0.6 wound on the welder.. im gonna need it.

so much filler

can feel where the number plate mounts should be

some paint runs..

bad spray job :(

dont think that should be welded on.

can tell it was used as more of a kick start with the ware only on one side and the chain stretched only in one place!

fuel tank is a bit rusty, looks all surface though. nothing i cant sort out when i have the frame striped. an no where near as bad as my old fiats were!
fill it full of 4mm nuts, screws, and other tiny bits of metal i have all in a bucket give it some turning action then empty it all out.
maybe pain the inside of the fuel tank with tank sealant. works wonders that stuff.

managed to snap the rear brake cable gahh. good job i will be replacing them anyway!

forgot to add some photos,

this is the front mud guard.. its also pretty rough and very thin. i was wire brushing the inside of the rust that was just painted over and poking holes in it with the brush.
gonna take some rebuilding i think :(

this edge looks like its been cut sadly.. may have had the mud guard cut shorter :(

guess thats where the original number plate mounts would have been..

bit of blistering..

front forks have some pretty mad rust too.. also these things are brazed together?! hmm may have to get them hot enough to melt all the braze and actually weld them

just to get red of the rust. its done a good number on them under the paint, then travelled along under the braze.

i am gonna hand the lot over to a shot blasters and tell them to try to be gentle. will see what i have left at the end of it all.

i really need to service this thing too.. the freewheel has no bearings left inside it, all gone. its just metal on metal. i am not yet sure how you get it open... looks like
someone has had it off before too. hmm

again that all for now! till next time.

What a gem.
My first bike was a Raleigh Runabout, which I think was a little older than yours. Engine looks the same.
It is based on the Motobecane/Mobylette, so the engine is French.

My Runabout had a horrid mix of bolt sizes and threads, some cycle, some UNF, some metric. There were some bolts made specially, with metric threads and nuts, but a UNF head on the bolt, pure genius, so be prepared to mix the spanners if some appear not to fit too well.
When running they go well.
Mine sadly, hardly managed to complete a journey, so got 'pedalled' rather too often. Owned it a whole fortnight, spent half of that mending it again. So why do your pics make me go all nostalgic?

well guys, so this is what the RM5 has been broken down to. looking forward to putting it all together again after painting!

playing with the front suspension.. toying with the idea of using some kind of removable low profile bolt to make band changing more easy..

but i do have all the right parts that i can use... hmmm...

think theres still plenty of life left in these brake shoes..

i am going to swap them around though, front to back and vice versa.

ok

so i am going to be showing off a little here, please dont hate me..

i have ordered 2 new rims from Danny @ MopedLand.co.uk
and also managed to find a company in china that will make any size spoke out of mild, stainless, titanium or carbon fibre!
i was a little naughty and ordered some new spokes and nipples from them. 175mm (as close to 7 inch as i could) 11 gauge (roughly 2.9mm) made from 316L grade stainless steel with nickel plated brass nipples.

i just hope i can get the hubs to look good too!

also got 2 new 18 inch tubes and some new rubber rim tape.
oh and a centre stand bolt kit too

actually heres a parts list of bits i have also managed to get from Mopedland.co.uk for this bike.

new rear sprocket. (48T × 110 bore)
new Drive Belt
2x new Sava 2.25×18 Whitewall tyres
6x new Front suspension rubber bands (the correct size)
2x new Top Anchor Rubber Bushes
2x Rivet Sets for front suspension (contains new bushes and all sorts of other wonderful new linkage parts)
2x Metalastic Pivot Bush for leading-link swing-arm
Cycle pattern brake levers for RM5
Front brake cable
replica fibreglass early type ‘rounded’ sidepanel mouldings for RM5
Raleigh RM4 Automatic & RM5 Supermatic tank badge set
Raleigh RM5 Pattern rear footrest rubbers
Drive chaincase blanking plug 35mm
Main drive chain 1/2" x 3/16" 415eq TKR/Triple-S heavy-duty 120-pins
Pedal chain 1/2" x 1/8" quality Adie 112-pins
Pedal crank chainwheel
2x swingarm metalastic bushes
Set of 3 new engine mounting metalasts
5x M5 grease nipples (got extra.. just in case)
2x pedal shaft sintered frame bushes
2x belt flywheel needle roller bearings
and even managed to get a replacement brand new freewheel!

you do not want to know the price of it all!

:D till next time!

i think my front hub is pretty screwed. i would need to mill it out that much to get rid of the craters in it it would become very thin.

only one thing for it, try to source another from somewhere.

they do not look it, but them pits are very deep.

i have taken the rims and spokes from off the hubs now, sadly snapping many spokes trying to undo the nipples even using a blow torch to heat them up!

my plan was to replace both front and rear wheel bearings but the hub seems too far gone. i may be able to get the steel totally milled out
then have a complete new piece made and pressed in... i just dont know how it would fair when it comes to stopping. i would have thought that it is
made and all cast as one. still theres got to be a way. even if i have to manually fill in all the pits with weld myself then get it machined down.
horrific bodge but if i cant get one, that all i can do.

trying to reclaim the bearing number..

looks like 6201. but also could be an 8201.. have to measure it.

they are 6201 bearings! and they are very cheap too!

so anyway

over the last week i have been looking for a place that will strip all of the old paint from... everything that makes up the bike.

found a place local to where i work he does acid dip and very very fine shot blasting so happy with that! everything apart from the frame is there to have the paint removed for now.

yesterday i decided to turn my attention to the seat.
i have been carrying this thing around with me for ages in Ratchet looking for a apulsters. managed to find one only a few doors down from the shot blasters! :slayer:

i showed it him and he says take it all apart, and try not to rip the cover too much. now i needed to paint the seat pan as it was pretty rusty as you will see in the picture.. some one has had it all apart before. the foam was always pretty good for a almost 60 year old bike...

so here is me taking the seat apart...

wait... what?

is that... sponges?

it is! just siliconed all in place! wow..

the ingenuity of people never ceases to amaze me. it was pretty comfy too!

it will all be redone the seat will be made in the original colours, to match the bike.

i am going to loose friends here, but i think i am also going to change the colour of the bike too, to something more.. classic looking. not that battle ship grey is not i guess.

till the next update!

hey guys! so i got most of the stuff back from the shot blasters.

they kindly sprayed everything with a light coating of primer but boy do i have some repair work to do.

hope that i can start soon. its going to be a slow process and i really could do with the frame but i dont know what i am going to do with that just yet.

hope to show more progress on this soon. for now heres the results of the shot blasting.

well i am slowly getting everything in primer

it turns out that the outer ring of the RM5's headlight looks to be originally chromed.. not painted..
electroplating... hmm something i must have a go at!

i hope to be able to get all of the nuts, bolts and screws all nickle plated. i have found some nickle and chromium to use for plating. all i need now is a weak acid with a PH of about 3, and my favorite.. a DC voltage supply that is low volts, high amps. PC power supply should do it. 5 volts at about 30 amps.

got to try to figure out how to get these guys apart.. hmm.

the forks look like the rust has not gotten into them too bad.

and the horrific mess the mud guards are.

and the sad frame. for £10 i can get this re-registered with an age related plate.. but it will be classed as a 1965 bike. i bought the bike as a 1962 bike in hope to avoid the age mark on the rego plate. the frame its self is in pretty good condition but i really want an ageless plate..

till next time!

Hi John, have'nt read this thread yet but keep going man!

Old bikes and cars are now tax and mot exempt and have a "cult" following these days.

I had a Philips Panda ( bloody tories again ) due to the law changing at the time, then the bantam days.

RM1 engine, any interest?? also a cyclemaster....

Also do you know about the electric way of rust removal and the tesco double strength lemon squash way, better when the squash is bogof.

Last edited:
Ok its been a while. well i have managed to get a replacement frame, with V5! being as the bike is all in bits it will take nothing for me to swap it all over in the rebuild :D

hmm i now have all of the paint to complete the bike. happy happy happy.

i also got the seat back from the upholsterers. I just need to add all of the support brackets to complete it.

i have also been busy rebuilding the wheels. the stainless steel spokes look lovely!
i just need to set them both true.

well till next time!

Back