Technical Is it me......

Currently reading:
Technical Is it me......

Al D

Established member
Or do engine and brakes on the Twin Air get quite hot compared to the 1.2? 6 mile round trip to supermarket when weather colder (rural with a 50 limit) the brakes you could feel heat coming off them. Never used any coolant surprisingly, part of reason have oil done every 5k is engine seems to get hot. Never used any oil. Have some mechanical sympathy (well, 3 or 4 minutes). Anyone else noticed this. Thanks. :)

Or do engine and brakes on the Twin Air get quite hot compared to the 1.2? 6 mile round trip to supermarket when weather colder (rural with a 50 limit) the brakes you could feel heat coming off them. Never used any coolant surprisingly, part of reason have oil done every 5k is engine seems to get hot. Never used any oil. Have some mechanical sympathy (well, 3 or 4 minutes). Anyone else noticed this. Thanks. :)

The engine compartment gets warm - presumably from the turbo - but I've never noticed hot brakes in 70,000 very varied miles - are you sure it's not the engine fan blowing warm air out?

JCarp16 you're one of the few with a front wheel drive Panda to our 4x4's. Have you noticed this? Wondered if the wheelarch liner on the 4x4 means excess heat sent through the brakes as nearest open space. Just a theory though.

JCarp16 you're one of the few with a front wheel drive Panda to our 4x4's. Have you noticed this? Wondered if the wheelarch liner on the 4x4 means excess heat sent through the brakes as nearest open space. Just a theory though.
I will have a look next time I go for a spin. I have noticed the engine warms up quickly - but as mentioned above I thought that was the turbo and normal for this engine.

g8rpi I've had brakes cleaned on both 4x4's owned to date. Effect lasts about 8 months. So probably due again. Slight resistance reversing off drive other day, obvious when car in the air and wheels don't rotate much at all. Economy always been awful on both. 40mpg if extremely lucky.

I have an Autool X50+ monitor plugged in to the OBD socket on my twinair. This gives a digital speed readout and engine temperature readout.
When warm, mine indicates that the car runs at 85° to 86°c in normal running, up to 87 or 88 if the weather’s hot.
I’ve not noticed anything untoward with the brakes, but make sure that the brake discs are the vented type rather than a single disc and that they are within spec, i.e. over 20.2mm.

I've done two local journeys. The brakes don't seem unusually hot. The front ones are hotter than the rears but I assumed that was because I have disks at the front and shoes at the rear.

Back