General Fiat Handa-me-down

Currently reading:
General Fiat Handa-me-down

My granny was the second owner of my '05 Panda from '07 til '14, then my sister had it until '15, and me since then. I must admit the car felt pretty tight and barely worn in '13, but after a year with my sister (who was used to driving a Mitsubishi Shogun) the gearstick was like mixing soup....

My granny got an i10, hated it (we know her senses are all okay as that's a natural enough response to those dreadful things - last generation not current). She then went back to the Panda (Pop) and got one on that £99 per month deal in September 2015.

I know the history of that Panda, giving it an edge over any other non-brand new Panda I could buy. I've been looking at new cars lately such as the Celerio and even as high up as the Jazz and Yaris.

She's been talking about getting rid of it, she says it's nothing like my '05 model and doesn't have much good to say about it. But there's nothing actually wrong with it, and in my opinion, Fiat didn't throw millions in R&D at the old model, ending up at the new one and end up making it worse! I know it's slower due to eco reasons. Oh... and ZERO STARS :p (but I think we all can spot a sensationalist headline when we see one!)

Question is...
Should I offer to buy hers when she wants to sell it on?
I know I want another Panda. Ideally, a big 4x4 with every option! But more realistically, a Lounge with heated seats and a few options... Though if I could get her Pop model at the right price, knowing the family history, it's a tempting one.

How much should I offer to pay for it?
It's a 2015 with around 22,000 miles on it. Great shape, though the back bumper popped out a bit I'm sure it could be rectified. It's still 100% Fiat too, no dodgy mechanics have been at it. White. No options. I was thinking of saying to her I'll give her £200 more than the franchised dealers will (which, will be below market value anyway). She doesn't really have the nerve or desire to sell it privately really, though I know that's the ideal thing she should do. Failing that, pay her private market value - so what is it in you opinion?

Alleged top book trade in with that mileage £3300. Would a dealer pay that this month if she had a 19 plate car in her sights?! Would hope so. Has it anything owing on it?!

Well, at around £3300 it's cheapish and doesn't have to be forever. The most it can lose is £3300.

If you're going to swap cars it'd be hard to find anything cheaper. Newer stuff can wait until you're 10 years older.

All ill say is my 2013 pop is the longest ive owned a car ( 3 yrs this year), ive had everything from fiestas, mondeos and micras to Abarths and Shoguns and none has got any where near being with me as long as the panda,and on top of that ive no plans to sell unless it goes seriously wrong.

up to now the only issues ive had are..NONE!!, it gets serviced by me when i feel like and its gets some rust goo over the back axel and sump once a year.

Base spec is best imo, if you think about it a base spec panda now is like a mid spec 90s car, ( central locking (non remote so it cant be 'intercepted' by thieves), leccy windows and a cd player) what else do you really need?

Steel wheels are cheap to replace and a punto space saver fits nicely in the wheel well.

If you like your current panda its just a more grown up version of it.
BUY IT:slayer:(y)

Back