Technical 2008 Drivers Electric Window stopped working

Currently reading:
Technical 2008 Drivers Electric Window stopped working

statia

The electric window in my wife's 2008 grande punto (three door, dynamic sport) has stopped working and I'm a bit stumped.

Last weekend I did some reading of previous posts on here and went and checked the wiring loom between the drivers door and the main body of the car which seemed fine.

I got the multimeter out and checked the voltage to the motor connector, when I pressed the switch for the window, there is 12v to the motor for a brief moment, then it drops again to 0v.

I can hear something click in the motor when I press the switch, then it clicks again almost straight away after. The passengers side only makes a clicking noise once when I press the switch.

I thought it was a switch issue, so I bought another switch unit off eBay but it didn't fix the problem.

Any ideas guys?

You can direct-feed the motor with + and - at the switch connector's pins 8 & 9. You'll need some material though, wires, "crocodile" clamps, 12v/50w bulb ...

- disconnect the switch
- connect battery - (ground) to pin 8 or 9
- BRIEFLY connect battery + THRU the bulb to the other pin

The window should start moving or "huum" if already at travel end : the bulb MUST lit in any case.

- If it doesn't lit, the circuit from the switch connector to the motor, OR the motor itself is open.
- If it lits but the motor doesn't do anything, the circuit is shorted to ground somewhere

BRs, Bernie

If someone here helped You fix -or better, understand- your issue, hit the thanks icon @ bottom right corner, it's free and makes us feel helpy ;-) between the switch and the motor, OR the motor itself is grounded

Hi Bernie,

Thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately I don't have any wire, crocodile clamps nor a 12v/50w bulb.

The circuit behaves the same even with the connection to the motor removed, so I'm thinking we can discount the motor being the problem.

The fact that there is 12v momentarily to the motor connector suggests that there is a circuit to the motor. So really, I'm guessing that the only thing left is there is a short to ground somewhere between the switch and the motor.

What do you think?

Three doors, dynamic/sport means it's probably the high-level trim, thus there are some electronics in the driver's switch, i.e to automate the full open/close (no need to keep the button toggled). The electronics also provide anti-pinch protection when closing and end of travel for both motions by measuring the current drawn by the motor. So if your motor or its circuit is shorted to ground it couldbehave as you describe. The best would be to ohm the motor leads to the ground...

BRs, Bernie

If someone here helped You fix -or better, understand- your issue, hit the thanks icon @ bottom right corner, it's free and makes us feel helpy ;-)

Thank you very much for your help.

It turns out it was a jammed mechanism which sorted out when i removed the bolts and activated the motor.

Thanks again.

Back