General Tipo, the Story So Far

Currently reading:
General Tipo, the Story So Far

We got our Tipo Easy Plus M-Jet2 on 15th December.

It was always going to be a difficult change because since trading in an Alfa 147 in 2012 we’ve been running little 500s, a Twin Air for the first six months, it was written off when we T-Boned a Toyota! :bang:

After that we had 4 Abarths, two in Legends Blue, a Podium Blue one and finally a red one, which we’d only had for six months. We always knew the red one was going to be the last, the compromises, size being the biggest. The other compromises are the things that made it fun. :cool:

In the end, the final straw was when my mother in law got almost stuck fast and we had a hell of a job getting her out. I said “We need to do something” :shrug:

I phoned the dealer and they had some deals going on and we got our “18” reg pre-reg Tipo for a very good price, pretty much a swap, no real change in monthly costs. It had 1 mile on the clock, all my “new “ cars came with more mileage!(y)

Because it was the festive season we did a lot of visiting family & friends and have now clocked up 1,100 miles, we normally do about 8,000 a year.

First impressions:
Big! Comfortable, economical and easy to drive. (y)

I was comfortable from the start, but It took a while to get used to the conventional driving position, it took a while to stop fiddling with the seat, I’ve stopped doing that now.

I’d forgotten how awesome cruise control is!

Although its an Easy Plus, our Tipo has the comfort pack, so includes climate etc, I don’t need the extras with the higher spec versions. I can’t live without DAB radio, 6 Music is brilliant! :worship:

The magazine bitch about “ scratchy plastics, bland grey interior” the only dodgy plastics are the door caps. I’ve hired a few Golfs, Audis etc for work, and the Tipo is fine compared to them, well screwed together and miles cheaper.

Driving wise, its fine “it’s a car”, we know its built and set up more on the comfort side, it rolls a bit, not too badly and there is grip there, you just drive in a different way. You can’t stand it on its nose, like we did with the 595, I don’t feel left behind, its not ”fun” in an Abarth way, but then again, not much is!

The 595 is lively, a scamp, you have to “drive” it all the time, you can’t really relax whereas the Tipo is less demanding, relaxing, you guide it, rather than drive it hard.

Its strange that we don’t miss the 595, but it shows that a Tipo Is the right choice for this time in our lives, it has and does everything we need in a car. And my mother in law likes it!

We changed from an in your face car to one that is pretty much anonymous, but one of my friends is thinking of buying a SW Tipo, people have complemented it and a neighbour is fed up with his VW going wrong that he might get one!

The Tipo gets a bad press, as do most FCA products, the press is so bias in the UK towards VAG, JLR & Ford that its not even funny.

The Tipo is far better than most of the reviews suggest, I really like it, may even love it It’ll keep us going for a few years until we get another Alfa…..

It's the Ford bias that always gets me - I had a MkII Focus pool car for a while and have had MkII facelift Focus Titanium a MkIV Mondeo Zetec TDCI and MkV Mondeo Zetec TDCI as hire cars when my BMW has been in for work.

They have all be awful in different ways - the MkII Focus was cheaply built, had poor and weird specifications and no feeling in the steering.

Both Mondeos were 2.2TDCis, I think - the higher power diesel, paired with the Powershift box. What amazed me was they were stupidly thirsty - as in low 30s MPG for an auto diesel, when my BMW 520d was turning in 45 or so.

A good review there RichardH13 (y) I agree about it being relaxing - I find it largely very quiet and pretty smooth considering mine's on 18" wheels (yours must be even better on the 16" ones of the Easy Plus). It's got oodles of kit for the price, weirdly handles speed bumps better than my 2016 Alfa Giulietta, which usually 'bottomed out' and doesn't seem as bothered by bigger ruts and bumps in the road as the Alfa either - I find this particularly strange given the Alfa had a more complex suspension set-up to the Tipo :confused:

I agree about the door plastics at the top, they are a touch too cheap for that part of the car, but otherwise the interior is well-judged and comfortable. Overall it's not quite as 'chuckable' as the Alfa, but it's much better to drive than I expected it to be after reading the miserable reviews of it.

My only real downside is how thirsty mine is - I've got the 1.4 T-Jet 120, mostly because I fell in love with the look of the S-Design in Street Grey and you can't get the S-Design with any other engines in the UK, or Street Grey in any other trim levels. If I chose again I'd have to think hard on whether I'd prefer the added torque and economy of the 1.6 Multijet and compromise on trim level - I had the 1.6 Multijet in the Giulietta and it's a brilliant engine. I regularly got in the region of 55mpg whereas the T-Jet has barely got above 31mpg in the first 3000 miles I've done :eek: Incidently I stumbled across the Tipo having gone to test drive an Abarth 595 Turismo, which whilst a riot, would've had me reaching for the Nurofen after an hour on the motorway - I just do too many long journeys for the little Abarth to have not worn thin. The Tipo is very under-rated though :cool:

I think we got lucky only having the choice of pre-reg cars with only diesels left and also having the comfort pack.

Obviously diesel is not ideal for short journeys, my commute is just under 10 miles each way, but it warms up quickly, quicker than the Alfa JTD M-Jet we used to have and is still 10 MPG better than the 595, I think the Tipo T-Jet would have been similar to the 595. Its a shame they don't do the S-Design with the Mjet.

The regen light has come on once, we were nearly home, so took the long route until it had gone out. I've not read of any problems with the drivetrain, its well established, so its not a real concern.

Because of the bias and bad reviews, not many people have been in or driven a Tipo (I'd had hire cars withe 95BHP petrol) everyone is very pleasantly surprised how good it is.

Another plus is that my partner is happy driving it, its easier than the 595 to drive.

The only think I can't get used to is how long the bonnet is, I always think its longer than it is, better than hitting things, I suppose:)

I hope FCA wake up soon and develop the models they have and bring out new ones soon, they have a habit of letting things wither, Mito, Panda, Giulietta, spring to mind.

They're good cars and I'm tired of getting the raised eyebrow and "Reliability?" when its clear that the Germans are not that reliable, but better than JLR, yet people still buy them....

It's the Ford bias that always gets me - I had a MkII Focus pool car for a while and have had MkII facelift Focus Titanium a MkIV Mondeo Zetec TDCI and MkV Mondeo Zetec TDCI as hire cars when my BMW has been in for work.

They have all be awful in different ways - the MkII Focus was cheaply built, had poor and weird specifications and no feeling in the steering.

Both Mondeos were 2.2TDCis, I think - the higher power diesel, paired with the Powershift box. What amazed me was they were stupidly thirsty - as in low 30s MPG for an auto diesel, when my BMW 520d was turning in 45 or so.

Totally agree. I stepped out of a brand new company Focus with all the toys into my Bravo 5 years ago and immediately preferred the more relaxed drive and reduced twitchy handling. The Fiat is just as good in any sane driving conditions although ultimately not as good on a race track. After 100K miles in the Bravo I continue to like and respect it more and more. It will soon be passed down the family and I expect it has at least another 100K miles left in it as it still looks like new in every department. What the press moan on at I still cant see.

Shame to waste a T/A getting a Toyota off the road... but it did it's duty <sniff!>
:cry:

Ralf S.

Did its job well, it was sold by the insurance company and repaired, new panels, airbags etc. Its still going, I've checked the MoT history.

The T/A sacrificed itself so that we could get an Abarth too years early:D

But life has moved on & we're very happy with our Tipo

Back