General Bye Bye Panda, it was good

Currently reading:
General Bye Bye Panda, it was good

smc4761

Bought my First Panda in 2006 brand new ran it for 7 years with very few issue, Bought a Suzuki Alto to replace, realised the error of my ways and went back to Panda this time a 15 plate

Ran this for 3.5 years and 32 000 miles on clock. Couple of wee minor issues but biggest pain was trying to do a hill start on a steep hill. Almost impossible to do and stalled it numerous times. Apart from that no issues

Looked to buy another Panda but thought prices were a bit steep and not a huge amount about. Plenty of Fiat 500 but did not fancy that

After much research decided on an 18 plate Vauxhall Viva, with 5000 miles on clock which I got for £6299. car is 9 months old

Initial thoughts are positive, certainly quicker from standing start than Panda, it is lighter, better equiped than Panda, and I only bought the base model. Remote central locking, heated mirrors(why), cruise control, bluetooth, split 60/40 rear seats with headrests

Fuel consumption is slightly better and insurance was slightly cheaper.

Oh and hill starts are not an issue.

Did like my wee Panda an one day may go back

Thanks for all the help and advice given by you guys over the years, hopefully there will be a friendly Vauxhall forum like this one:worship::worship::worship:

Life moves on. All the best with your new car.

It's interesting what you say about the clutch. I've had a Seicento 900, Punto Mk2 HGT (not a FIRE engine) and Mrs Dave's Panda 1200 all have a great easy to control clutch with no worries on hill starts or at any other time. The Punto and my 100HP (with same clutch as any other Panda) have a new clutch. The 100HP has new clutch and hydraulics end to end and its all too easy to stall on hill starts.

Four cars all with more or less the same clutch design (ok, HGT was bigger) but why would one with the newest parts and probably the OP's Panda be less than ideal?

Last edited:
The issue with hill starts seems to be with engines with Euro 6

Even The Stig struggles with it. Its is a Fiat 500 but has same engine as Panda

Life moves on. All the best with your new car.

It's interesting what you say about the clutch. I've had a Seicento 900, Punto Mk2 HGT (not a FIRE engine) and Mrs Dave's Panda 1200 all have a great easy to control clutch with no worries on hill starts or at any other time. The Punto and my 100HP (with same clutch as any other Panda) have a new clutch. The 100HP has new clutch and hydraulics end to end and its all too easy to stall on hill starts.

Four cars all with more or less the same clutch design (ok, HGT was bigger) but why would one with the newest parts and probably the OP's Panda be less than ideal?

Nope.. its lousy mapping.. makes you work the clutch.. like a 49cc 2 stroke ;)

See below ;)

What oriental motor is it rebadged from?

It's built in South Korea so will be a Dawoo under the skin. GM bought the company some time ago.

Wikipedia also says
The Opel Karl is named after Adam Opel's oldest son, Karl. The model is closely related to the fourth generation Chevrolet Spark.​
So at least we know where the current (slightly annoying) naming tend came from. The name Viva was chosen because Brits asked what they liked about a car called Karl said, "Absolutely Vauxhaul"

By the way, is the Vauxhaul Adam closely related to the Fiat 500? There are strong similarities.

One orange, one yellow but remove the branding features and they look near identical.

dsc_0966.jpg

dsc_0955.jpg

Last edited:
The 500 is old but should at least have the wrinkles ironed out. Oh hang on, what about that Twinair engine.

When are Fiat going to talk to Konisegg about using his Freevalve technology. No cams, no throttle valve, no starter motor, 20Kg less weight, less parasitic load, lots of other cool stuff including low build cost on existing production lines.

Last edited:
Here we go. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Fiat_Small_platform It's a Punto under the skin.

The Small Platform[1] or SCCS platform (Small Common Components and Systems platform), was developed by Fiat for subcompact, front wheel drive, four wheel drive cars and some Opel models like the Opel Corsa. It was first used on the Fiat Grande Punto, which was unveiled in 2005.​

Err.. thats a 15years old article about the corsa D.. : GP

That tie in is the bain of the forum..

Poxy dash wiring

Hi all,

I swapped my 2015 Panda in December 2018 and "upgraded" to a Vauxhall Viva. Great wee car. Now down 50 000 miles and apart from 3 new tyres, new battery and wiper blades oh and set of front brake pads that been it

Thinking of getting a 2022 ish Panda, as a secondary run around car. One thing that I did hate about the Panda was the hill starts, it was always a stuggle, even The Stig had trouble with it, see youtube post above.

Has that issue ever been resolved

Hi all,

I swapped my 2015 Panda in December 2018 and "upgraded" to a Vauxhall Viva. Great wee car. Now down 50 000 miles

Thinking of getting a 2022 ish Panda, as a secondary run around car. One thing that I did hate about the Panda was the hill starts, it was always a stuggle, even The Stig had trouble with it, see youtube post above.

Has that issue ever been resolved

Hi 🙂
That era 2014/15 had lousy ECU mapping, one "fix" was a software update,
I have a 2018 varsion of that 1242cc motor, does ok

(Strangely I drove to the Car Supermarket to buy a Viva, 3 years after posting a few lines above this)

Viva was sold XC so drove away in a 2018 model 500..with cruise

Would have preferred a Panda - But cruise was never a factory option..

Back