Technical Problems connecting to ECU with ELM327 bluetooth and multiecuscan (2004 1.9JTD)

Currently reading:
Technical Problems connecting to ECU with ELM327 bluetooth and multiecuscan (2004 1.9JTD)

jmrig

Hi all,

Trying and failing to connecting to my ECU (2004 1.9JTD) using a bluetooth connector and multiecuscan. It can see and connect to the device in multiecuscan, but it says it cannot connect to the ECU ("eml322->ecu connection failed"). Any ideas, or alternatively can someone recommend another model or USB one that will definitely work?

Mechanic disabled the air flow meter so I want to have a play around and re-enable when i'm done.

Cheers!

Hi all,

Trying and failing to connecting to my ECU (2004 1.9JTD) using a bluetooth connector and multiecuscan. It can see and connect to the device in multiecuscan, but it says it cannot connect to the ECU ("eml322->ecu connection failed"). Any ideas, or alternatively can someone recommend another model or USB one that will definitely work?

Mechanic disabled the air flow meter so I want to have a play around and re-enable when i'm done.

Cheers!

Did it do the F9 test ok..??

I dont generally have issues with MES.

Where are you based.?

Charlie

Thanks for the replies. I'll order a USB adaptor and see if that helps.

Did it do the F9 test ok..??

I dont generally have issues with MES.

Where are you based.?

Charlie

As far as I could tell the test worked. There was some output from it... I'm based in Worcestershire.

Thanks all :worship:

Well, connected up fine using cables so the ECU is ok. Reconnected MAF, cleared all errors and only error we were getting was Preheat fault.

Car runs fine at idle but sluggish/struggles when accelerating. Suggested cleaning out EGR valve, i'd also clean the MAF sensor connections using electrical contact cleaner. Then see where your at.

Well, connected up fine using cables so the ECU is ok. Reconnected MAF, cleared all errors and only error we were getting was Preheat fault.

Car runs fine at idle but sluggish/struggles when accelerating. Suggested cleaning out EGR valve, i'd also clean the MAF sensor connections using electrical contact cleaner. Then see where your at.

Thanks once again for you help!

Attempted this today... unfortunately, I was thwarted by two bolts underneath the EGR that I just couldn't loosen with the limited space I had. I might try again soon, this time taking the battery out for more space.

Update to this. Had the EGR valve changed with little difference. Sprayed the MAF sensor with electrical contact cleaner and it went like a rocket.... fixed i thought, but then the next day back to feeling a bit underpowered. Did this again with the same results, driving great then back to feeling underpowered. Assuming faulty MAF sensor so will order another unless anyone has any other suggestions? Seems a bit weird that it works for a while when cleaned then back to normal.

I'd suggest you need to look at it carefully to try to see why it needs cleaning. What is contaminating it so quickly? Finding the cause may be more likely to point you towards a permanent fix. The MAF may be a victim here, not a cause. A new one may suffer the same fate.

Is the MAF downwind of the turbo? Is it downwind of the EGR?
If contaminated with oil, could be a failing turbo seal, or engine breathing issues.
If contaminated with 'soot', may have an EGR problem.

I'd suggest you need to look at it carefully to try to see why it needs cleaning. What is contaminating it so quickly? Finding the cause may be more likely to point you towards a permanent fix. The MAF may be a victim here, not a cause. A new one may suffer the same fate.

Is the MAF downwind of the turbo? Is it downwind of the EGR?
If contaminated with oil, could be a failing turbo seal, or engine breathing issues.
If contaminated with 'soot', may have an EGR problem.

Thanks. I wonder if it might be the air filter, which is just before the MAF sensor? It's well overdue a service so hasn't been changed for a long time.

EGR has been changed recently

Don't guess at random things. A dirty air filter is unlikely to cause such a problem so quickly.

Have a careful look at the MAF to try to determine what is contaminating it. Then we can try to diagnose the source, and then the fix.

Follow up to this... I fitted a reconditioned MAF sensor and everything seems to be hunky dory. Thanks all for the help!

Back