Technical '12 Boot Leak

Currently reading:
Technical '12 Boot Leak

Bondidan

Hi,
just by chance I noticed the carpet in the boot was wet on the left side just near opening rear door. On inspection I saw a little mould on the metal.

Previously I battled leaks in an 05 Ford Focus so I had an idea of what to look for.

Comparing one side to the other I see the 'Factory water proof sealant' is applied by hand. So I got some Tec7 and expanded the around the Factory Seal and also other panel joins.

It is my strong suspicion the join under the indicator light is where this little leak occurs. Access is a bit tricky but I have hopefully sealed that seam.

Will put carpet back in and report back in a month.

Dan
'12 500 Boot Leak.jpeg

Worth noting that someone on here recently traced their boot leak to the roof antenna.

That was me. I thought it was coming in from the same seam, then thought it was the screw inserts for the rear light etc etc then with he help of a hose, found out the aerial wasn’t fitted properly. It wasn’t soaking through the head lining but running to the lowest point and running down that very same panel, although mine was the other side.

That’s what I did thanks to the idea on here and found my leak

If you don't attend to small leaks promptly, they have a habit of growing into big leaks...

Here is a picture of a big leak in the boot

Attachments

• leak in boot.jpg
    leak in boot.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:
I did not use a hose for checking, it rains so much here in Dublin, Ireland I thought I'd let nature take it's course over 4 weeks.

4 weeks later and I can confirm I have fixed the leak !

Because the Factory sealant is applied by hand, this is a fail point.

Dan

:D :eek: :) ;)

Back