Technical Cruise control issue, have searched forum

Currently reading:
Technical Cruise control issue, have searched forum

aurumdeus

Hi all, I have an issue with the cruise control on my Croma (2005 1.9 8v). I've searched on the forum but I can't find anything similar, and I'm about out of ideas.

When you turn it on the message "Cruise control on" appears on the dash, however it won't accept any speed input.

The brake and clutch switches are behaving correctly.

When you select a target speed, no target speed appears on the computer when using multiECUscan.

When cruise control is off, the ECU knows which gear is selected. However 60% of the time that cruise control is activated, the ECU doesn't know what gear the car is in. It seems to come and go randomly.

The ECU is listing a "Generic Error" for the cruise control, however there is no indication of what this is or how to find out more.

I had my gearbox replaced with a recon one recently, and it was after that that I noticed the issue. I can't see any obvious unplugged wires or sensors on the gearbox. The gearbox type is listed as "Not learned". I don't know if this is normal or not, and I can't find any way to program it in.

0xBEdxw

That is a screenshot of multiECUscan, when the car was in 5th gear cruising at 80km/h. I was requesting the cruise control to hold speed but no input is being accepted.

Any help or advice that anyone can give would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you :)

Hi,
This is almost certainly related to the gearbox change. If you paid a garage to do the work they should really sort it out. Your MES screenshot does not appear in the post.
I think the first things to try if doing it yourself is to run CAN Configuration / Proxi-Alignment with MES. If that shows no issues or does not fix it, connect to the engine ECU and do a "Reset Learnt Parameters" then go for a drive using all gears in sequence at reasonable speeds but NOT using the Cruise Control. Shut down then resart and try the cruise control.
My rationale behind this is the ECU determines the gear in use from the difference between the engine speed and gerbox output (wheel) speed. This may be learnt to accomodate differnt gearbox ratios and the new gearbox may be slightly different to the old one.

Also check the ESP and ABS for faults as these will stop the cruise wourking and they may have dissturbed the hub sensors when taking the geearbox out.
If you are still having issues I'll look at settings on my 1.9 16V.

Robert G8RPI

Hi,

Thanks for that info, that's a big help. Unfortunately the garage that did the work is hundreds of miles away, as I've moved house since it was done. Taking it all the way back there would most likely be more grief than sorting it myself, and given that they most likely caused the issue in the first place I'm not sure they would be able to sort it out.

I don't know what happened with the screenshot, I'll try adding it in here again.

0xBEdxw.jpg

If that doesn't work here is a direct link to it.

https://i.imgur.com/0xBEdxw.jpg

I know where the option is to reset learnt parameters, but I can't find the CAN configuration option you mentioned. Where is it? Still under ECU?

I did a scan of the ABS for faults recently and nothing came up, but I will get a direct readout of all wheel speed sensors to compare values and make sure they are all reading correctly.

Thank you for the information Robert :)

Back