Technical Stop/Start Function

Currently reading:
Technical Stop/Start Function

Eimurf

Hi

After driving for 2/3 minutes, the car jolts forward, and the "check engine" and "stop/start" lights flash come up on the dash and stay there. I've had the battery, starter engine and relays all replaced after the car broke down on 3 different occasions and it's still happening.

If this doesn't happen it will just cut out once it goes into neutral.

Really hoping someone can help, I've had nothing but hassle with this car since I bought it.

Cheers
Eimear

Attachments

• Dash.jpg
    Dash.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 92
Yep, everything else should be fine; they thought it was definitely the starter engine, but it's just been replaced 3 months ago.

The starter only starts the engine it has no function after this so why replace it? If the check engine light is on then there should be a stored code for the reason? surely? sounds like a engine management/ignition/fueling issue?

What happens if you disable S/S once the engine has started?

(on older 500's, you need to do this each time you start the car; on later models you can also disable S/S in firmware)

If running with S/S disabled prevents the car from subsequently cutting out, then I'd suspect a faulty sensor in the S/S system; if the issue persists with S/S disabled, then the problem is likely elsewhere.

I've had nothing but hassle with this car since I bought it.

How long ago was that? If it's less than six months, I'd be having a serious chat with the selling dealer.

Last edited:
I bought the car a year and a half ago but it's been like this since day 1. They fixed it long enough to get past the warranty stage but then it started off again and I have to get it towed every few months now.

I've asked them to disable S//S but I've been told that can't be done. Would you know how I can knock it off?

Really appreciate your help.

I bought the car a year and a half ago but it's been like this since day 1. They fixed it long enough to get past the warranty stage but then it started off again and I have to get it towed every few months now.

I've asked them to disable S//S but I've been told that can't be done. Would you know how I can knock it off?

Really appreciate your help.

Shows how much they know if they say it can’t be done. Have you actually tried manually disabling it simply by pushing the button on the heater control panel?

It can be disabled within menus certainly using MultiECUScan and I’m sure dealer level software too. Certainly sounds like a sensor issue, especially as its intermittent.

Them replacing the starter motor is ridiculous. It starts the car, that’s it!

They replaced the starter when the car wouldn't start. The next time it was the relays, for the same reason.

I can turn off the S/S through the control panel, like you suggest which stops it jolting forward when I'm driving but it still cuts out if it's in neutral or in 1st with the clutch for any more than 15 seconds or so. Usually this happens for a few weeks/months tops before I just can't get it started at all.

It can be disabled within menus certainly using MultiECUScan and I’m sure dealer level software too. Certainly sounds like a sensor issue, especially as its intermittent.

I'm not sure it can on the early cars; on later ones it's certainly possible to disable it permanently. IIRC there are hardware/firmware differences.

I wonder if it could be the gear sensor, or it needs a neutral relearn which MES does. Where are you based? Someone nearby might have MES and be able to help. One of those things that a process of elimination might be the only way, but it must throw up a stored code somewhere.

I had a sensor error that I changed throttle body and throttle pedal but the car kept going into limp mode as soon as I pulled away and the code came back. Turned out to be the body computer was sending 2 signals to the pedal and one was low on amps which was causing the limp mode. It had to go to an auto electrician to sort out.

I'll suggest that the next time it breaks down. I'm in Dublin; there's a Fiat garage a few miles away. Thanks for your help though, much appreciated.

The new thing now is for the “Check Engine” light to come on, and it struggles to move, as if it were in too high a gear. It cut out altogether whilst I was driving a few times last night - that usually only happens when I’m stopped. There’s a smell of plastic burning too. I’ll have to bring it in and hand over more money but if anyone had any words of wisdom before I go in and get shafted yet again, that would be really helpful.

Cheers

Rather than take it to Fiat why don’t you contact an auto electrician. It’s clearly an electrical issue of some sort especiallyif you can now smell burning.

A good choice, fuse box is worth a look for signs of over heating ? Is the car a auto ? Not that this has any bearing

Last edited:
Back