General Oil light blinking - Diesel 500L - How to change oil and reset?

Currently reading:
General Oil light blinking - Diesel 500L - How to change oil and reset?

peter806

Hello everyone!

I own a Fiat 500L from 2016, diesel, 1248cc.

When I got it, the stand said the oil and filter had been changed. In the on-board computer it indicated that the next change should be in 19,500km and about 330 days.

I, however, did what I always do: I swapped whatever was inside and put brand new, Fiat spec oil. No reset was done, since we were so early in the cycle.

Now, today, I was driving, and the oil light started blinking. I stopped, afraid that it was a lack of oil, but I saw that it was not. In the manual it indicates (this part was translated on google translate):

LIGHTS WITH INTERMITTENT LIGHT: DEGRADED ENGINE OIL (Diesel versions only with DPF)
Ignition of the warning light with a flashing light should not be regarded as a malfunction, but
that the normal use of the vehicle led to the need to replace the oil.
Deterioration of engine oil is accelerated by prevailing use of the vehicle in the city, which
more frequent the regeneration process of the DPF, use of the vehicle in short journeys,
that the engine reaches regime temperature, repeated interruptions of the regeneration process
the warning light.
If the warning light comes on, the engine oil must be replaced as soon as possible and never
warning light on. Failure to observe the above information may result in severe engine damage and
Warranty. The ignition of this warning light is not related to the amount of oil present in the engine; therefore, if the warning light
if it flashes, it is not necessary to add more oil to the engine.

I have some questions:

1 - Since I have the vehicle I drove about 9000Km. Most of these Km was on the motorway. However, and I think this may be important, in the motorway I usually drive at 110Km/h with the cruise control on and at about 2300rpm. It is very rare for me to go above 2500rpm. Is it normal that my oil shows as degraded after only 9000km/7 months?

2 - What do I need to buy so that I can change the oil myself, and reset everything? It is very urgent, so if you can recommend something that is readily available on Amazon, even if it's more expensive, I would appreciate that very much.

Thank you!

Hi,
Hard for me to recommend something from Amazon Spain but this one should be OK
multiecuscan ELM 327 modificato Original Can OBD2 Fiat Service FiatECUscan: Amazon.es: Coche y moto
or this

www.amazon.es/EXCITES_FR-modificaci...sr_1_sc_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1541879589

should be OK
You also need adaptor lead 3 "yellow" which may mean buying a set like

www.amazon.es/Multiecuscan-OBD-Cabl...QMRRT/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1541879487

These should give you enough ideas to look at other sellers.

The reset requires the registered version of Multiecuscan.

Robert G8RPI.

Yes you need the yellow lead as well as the interface. The interface you linked to may be OK but I can't tell for sure. Many have a resistor fitted as a design mistake that stops access to some modules. I've not used the seller.

Robert G8RPI.

Ah, I see!

Ok, so this:

OHP ELM327 USB de modificación para Fiat Alfa Romeo Lancia - Can - Bus diagnostiquer Cable de Interfaz: Amazon.es: Bricolaje y herramientas

plus this:

Proscan Automotive 4 - Cables de diagnóstico para Coches Italianos: Amazon.es: Coche y moto

Would be fine?

So, from what I get, the ELM has to be modified? I believe this one from Amazon claims to have been.

And the cable, what matters is the colour, correct? This pack from amazon includes the yellow one. It says "for italian cars", not specifically for FIAT. Is there an issue with that?

Then I should try them with an unregistered version of the software, and if all is well, purchase the registered version?

Last edited:
Ok, I got the items linked above and it all worked fine.

I first tested with an unregistered version of Multicuescan, and all was working.

Then I paid for the registered version and reset the DPF timer.

I used the green cable for this. The yellow cable is to reset the time/km until the next service.

You really need different cables to access different functions of the car ???

I know something like this from the Fiat barchetta, where three control units (one for the engine, one for the airbag and the third one for the ABS, as far as I remember) are wired to different PINs of the OBD2 plug. But I am surprised that this is also the case for the 500L. I thought that modern cars have one 'central' unit which controls everything ...

Brandy

You really need different cables to access different functions of the car ???

I know something like this from the Fiat barchetta, where three control units (one for the engine, one for the airbag and the third one for the ABS, as far as I remember) are wired to different PINs of the OBD2 plug. But I am surprised that this is also the case for the 500L. I thought that modern cars have one 'central' unit which controls everything ...

Brandy

You do not NEED different cables to communicate with the individual 'brains'.

But with the 'enthusiast version' of MES..

IT Just makes things a little simpler ( cheaper..)

AFAIK.. the @£800 version connects to all with 1 cable.

Charlie

Back