Technical Central locking

Currently reading:
Technical Central locking

DragonUK

OK, I've given up and registered :)

Not long bought a Croma 1.9 Diesel, but I've been having problems with unlocking the damn thing!

Of the buttons on the keys, the "lock" button works fine on both of them, but the car absolutely refuses to unlock using the remote, meaning that I have to put whatever I'm carrying on the roof while I mess around unlocking it with the key.

So... I was thinking of adding a secondary remote central locking controller, but of course, can't find any kind of wiring diagram that tells me where the existing central locking interface is or what colour wires I should be looking for in the drivers door.

Anyone got any ideas? :confused:

OK, I've given up and registered :)

Not long bought a Croma 1.9 Diesel, but I've been having problems with unlocking the damn thing!

Of the buttons on the keys, the "lock" button works fine on both of them, but the car absolutely refuses to unlock using the remote, meaning that I have to put whatever I'm carrying on the roof while I mess around unlocking it with the key.

So... I was thinking of adding a secondary remote central locking controller, but of course, can't find any kind of wiring diagram that tells me where the existing central locking interface is or what colour wires I should be looking for in the drivers door.

Anyone got any ideas? :confused:

Hi and welcome to Fiat Forum,

Does the rear hatch release on the fobs work OK?
If it does it is probably a faulty switch in the remote.

The central locking and security system on the Croma "CODE" is quite complex and involves several modules and the CAN bus so adding a second receiver may be difficult.
Where are you located?

Robert G8RPI.

Hi and welcome to Fiat Forum,

Does the rear hatch release on the fobs work OK?
If it does it is probably a faulty switch in the remote.

The central locking and security system on the Croma "CODE" is quite complex and involves several modules and the CAN bus so adding a second receiver may be difficult.
Where are you located?

Robert G8RPI.

Hi Robert

Nope, the hatch release doesn't want to play either, but I'm not too bothered about that particular feature.

Interesting that you point out that the central locking and security are all tied together, various messages pop up when you turn on the ignition, one of which is a failure of the protection system, I'll have a look at exactly what it says tomorrow if I get a chance.

I suppose that could point to a module failure. :chin:

I'm in Bristol, so not a million miles from you, but I've no worries about messing with the car to either make a secondary lock/unlock system work or finding out that it won't :D

My local Fiat dealer was quoting telephone numbers at me to even look at it!

Bill

Hi Robert

Nope, the hatch release doesn't want to play either, but I'm not too bothered about that particular feature.

Interesting that you point out that the central locking and security are all tied together, various messages pop up when you turn on the ignition, one of which is a failure of the protection system, I'll have a look at exactly what it says tomorrow if I get a chance.

I suppose that could point to a module failure. :chin:

I'm in Bristol, so not a million miles from you, but I've no worries about messing with the car to either make a secondary lock/unlock system work or finding out that it won't :D

My local Fiat dealer was quoting telephone numbers at me to even look at it!

Bill

Hi Bill,
OK. Sounds like a bit of a weird problem. If you are happy to do work yourself I suggest the next step is to get diagnostics on the car. I use and recommend Multiecuscan (MES) www.multiecuscan.net

This needs a PC (laptop), a ELM327 t USB interface and a couple of adaptor leads to do prety much anything a Fiat dealer can. A typical interface and lead set is www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Fiat-Alfa-EL...dapters-Diagnostics-Multiecuscan/282526378637
(I've used this seller) You can access the engine ECU wth the "free" vrsion of MES but will have to pay the (very reasonable) 50 Euro registration fee to access the other modules. Make sure it all works and connects to engine before paying the licence fee. Any old Windows (XP or newer) laptop will work OK.
Even if you buy a used loaptop it's still cheaper than a session with a main dealer. You can safely play with MES without even n interface by runningit nd clicking the "Simulate" button instead of "Connect"

The electronic workshop manual can be downloaded from the Forum here https://www.fiatforum.com/downloads.php?do=download&downloadid=373
You need to download all sections to a folder and decompress (I use 7-Zip) them to a single .ISO file nd make a CD-ROM from the iso. Then install from the CD-ROM.

HTH,
Robert G8RPI.

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
multiecuscan looks like a handy bit of software to have. I'll have to buy a bloody laptop though, I'm not parking the car in my office or carrying my desktop PC up to the car! :D

I did look at and download the Croma eLEARN, unrared and mounted the .iso file, but my PC absolutely refuses to run it. It says that setup.exe is corrupt (I even downloaded it a second time just in case). But I'll worry about that once I've got a laptop, my PC can be a bit 'fickle' at times ;)

Thanks for the help so far, I'm sure I'll have more questions though at some point :spin:

Just thought I'd update this with the latest 'development'.

It turns out that the buttons (on both fobs) that activate the door unlock had given up the ghost. As well as the rubbers, but I'd already sorted that.

Anyway, I removed that button from both fobs and replaced them with the button for unlocking the tailgate (which I don't need).

Doors are now locking and unlocking like new (y)

Just bought a couple of bits from someone breaking one on the bay of e and they're throwing in their old fobs, so I'll probably use the buttons from those to replace my tailgate buttons on my fobs, just in case I ever decide that I really do need that :D

Back