Technical Help needed MES leads

Currently reading:
Technical Help needed MES leads

Moimo

Having had the day off, I headed to the garage and did battle with the undertray, oil filter and changed the oil in my 1.6 multijet. Even welded a massive nut on the sump plug because the head was showing signs of rounding off IMG_2166.JPG even made a spanner to deal with the filter all good and smiles so far but then!!!!!!!!!!

I went inside got the laptop and fired up MES but where are my leads........ fast forward to now the garage has been stripped and put back then the house and nothing having done many more searches I just don’t know. Rang gendan 60 quid for red lead and yellow adapter which I have already somewhere!!!

Can anyone tell me if they have had a lead and yellow adapter from eBay that works out the box with out alteration, ill happily buy a cheap set just so mine conform to Sod’s law and turn up just after buying new thanks.

I guess you mean the OBDII reader ? You can trust the ELM327 specified "Fiat OK" that's on the net, they're just a version WITHOUT the termination resistor installed, or you can buy any CABLE one (not the little tiny blue sh...) and remove that resistor yourself. The color adapters only swap two wires so the adapter reads the proprietary OBD signal (like Body Computer), you could also do that yourself with a dual inverter and a few pieces of wire/connectors/welding/insulation, which won't get lost in garage stripping, but will be when you sell the car...

BRs, Bernie

If someone here helped You fix -or better, understand- your issue, hit the thanks icon @ bottom right corner, it's free and makes us feel helpy ;-)

Thanks I see loads are advertised for use with MES, so I’ll get a set of those very Annoying!!! when you own some already.

Got some off eBay you can see the item and seller in the first two pics, I’ve read loads of stuff about connection interfaces for MES but the best bit of advice I’ve seen is the connection settings in the last picture.IMG_2245.JPGIMG_2246.JPGIMG_2247.JPG

Or maybe it’s just me that didn’t know that

Glad you got a wotkig set.
Note that while the drivers you show work for that interface, they may not for identical looking interfaces from other sellers. The drivers are for the USB to serial interface chip. The ones linked are for the FTDI chip. Ther are at least two other types that can be used in ELM OBDII adaptors and the FTDI drivers won't work for them. You can't tell what chip is used just by design of the adaptor. Always use the drivers recommended by the supplier. There is another issue with counterfit FTDI chips that may not work, or even be disabled by the latest FTDI drivers.

Robert G8RPI.

Back