Technical Speedometer at rest reading

Currently reading:
Technical Speedometer at rest reading

RDS

Is it too much to ask for the speedo to read 0 mph at rest? The car looks fast at a Standstill but 5mph at rest is annoying. I suppose the cure is more trouble than it's worth?

Cheers

RDS

I think it was done to avoid needle flicker at speeds lower than 5 mph.

Iirc, Lancias of the same period were the same?

Always seemed wrong to me, nearly every other car's speedometer starts at 0.

Maybe it was done for 'styling reasons'. Fiat tried a lot of this crap back in the day. I don't know if you got the Fiat Ritmo (Racing)- a hatchback contemporary of the X1/9. This had had interior door lock buttons that rotated revealing red (locked) or green(unlocked) dots -(reason given by Fiat was to be 'stylish' and prevent theft (coathanger couldn't grip the 1/2 round button) and exterior door handles made entirely from plastic and were round - and unnatural to grip/use - (reason given by Fiat - of modern' style').

In the late '70's and onwards, it appears Fiat let the 'stylists' take control.....

AL.

As above, it was the same with many of the older Fiat models.

My 1986 model 154 Croma Turbo never showed below 10 mph, and 500 rpm.

Attachments

• PICT0454.JPG
    PICT0454.JPG
    193.6 KB · Views: 83
  • PICT0463.JPG
    PICT0463.JPG
    115.4 KB · Views: 82
thank you both fir that, I am glad I'm not the only one then. This stylist nonsense is very irritating!

Cheers
RDS

Ah! My speedo always read ~3/5 mph fast. I took the speedo out, removed the needle and set it to zero!

extreme situations call for extreme measures then, Neg!I'll check mine V GPS hopefully at weekend if weather fine.

Ps to avoid confusion in my last post, I was railing against the obsession with stylists on the part of Fiat, not the esteemed stylists on here....

Back