General Sensor resistance

Currently reading:
General Sensor resistance

gtomas

I'm having some trouble with cold engine idleing with my Tipo 2.0 16v, so I'm looking for information about ECT (engine coolant temperature) sensor values. I think the sensor is not reading a correct temperature, so my car is ideling too low when cold. Does anybody have information about what the resistance vs temperature should be?

I belive that the sensor is the same for 2.0 (GT) model and it's got a blue connector.

Thanks!

Regards,
Goran Tomas

I don't know... Haven't looked at it. Are there different types?

Btw, I did some resistance measuring and the blue sensor reads 10 kOhm in the morning (outside temp 0 degrees Celsius), 4 kOhm when not driven for 10 hours, 600 Ohm when the engine starts to pick up temperature... That would seem OK to me.

The problem I'm having is that in the mornings, when I start the engine it will start but then immediately dies... On second start it will work, however the revs will constantly jump up and down - it's like it tries to idle too low, then some feedback mechanism kicks in and rises the revs. That goes in circle until the engine picks up some temperature and then it stabilizes.

I have changed both air and ECT sensors, checked and cleaned the idle valve, had my car on moto tester where (when the engine was warm) they've told me everything reads perfectly (lambda sensor, etc).

When the mornings are not so cold, then it will start on first attempt, but will idle very low, almost choking... After 5-10 seconds it "figures out" that's too low, the revs jump up, but then slowly fall lower and lower, then they again jump up and so on like I described above.

Also, if I try to drive before the revs stabilize (about 2 mins) the engine will reluctantly respond to accelerator pedal (when the revs are below 2500 rmps). I have to depress it significantly to gain some slow acceleration. When the rpms rise above 2500 (or if I press the pedal real deep) it will suddenly "wake up" and start to accelerate furiously... When the engine is hot, it works perfectly, no problems at all!

Any help is appreciated!

Kind regards,
Goran Tomas

Back