General 500X - engine oil

Currently reading:
General 500X - engine oil

Hello folks, newbie here. I have a 68 reg 500X with 1.4 multi jet engine. I think the handbook says 0W/30 grade engine oil. Is that correct? Many thanks for your help!

Do you mean the 1.4 Multiair petrol engine? If so, it does indeed use 0W 30 oil. More importantly, it must comply with Fiat spec. 9.55535-GS1 or you will void the warranty. Selenia Digitek P.E. is compliant. Since Selenia is part of the Petronas company, there is probably a Petronas badged oil that also complies, but I haven't found one. Perhaps someone on here knows.

The Selenia oil can be hard to find, but it's available from Shop4Parts.

Finally, check your manual to confirm what I quoted above, which came from page 206 of the manual on my 2015 UK car.

Do you mean the 1.4 Multiair petrol engine? If so, it does indeed use 0W 30 oil. More importantly, it must comply with Fiat spec. 9.55535-GS1 or you will void the warranty. Selenia Digitek P.E. is compliant. Since Selenia is part of the Petronas company, there is probably a Petronas badged oil that also complies, but I haven't found one. Perhaps someone on here knows.

The Selenia oil can be hard to find, but it's available from Shop4Parts.

Finally, check your manual to confirm what I quoted above, which came from page 206 of the manual on my 2015 UK car.

Hi Trev - many thanks for this. Yes, it’s petrol. So I ought to pursue the Selenia product rather than just get a Castro’s 0W/30? Grateful for your further advice on this!

Easily done! Because of the way the valves are actuated in the Multiair engine, it's very important to use an oil that meets the Fiat specification given in your handbook. It's also important to have it changed frequently, every 9000 miles or annually, along with the filter.

Mine hasn't needed any topping up between services, so I haven't had to buy any oil. However, it did have about 15,000 miles on it when I bought it, so I don't know if they use any oil when the engine is new like yours. It sounds like you are the sort of person who checks it regularly, which is good. Many people don't!

The official dealership here in Lithuania substitutes Selenia with Eneos and there seems to be no problem with that, but can't be sure about the UK situation, probably it's best to stick with Selenia to be on the safe side.

Once again, Trev - many thanks for the care you have taken to help me not go wrong - I have ordered 1l from the people you linked me to, to have on garage shelf for tops up - engine oil is clearly a much more complex world than I ever thought!

And to to confirm the exact specification is:

Selenia Digitek Pure Energy - SAE 0W-30 ACEA C2
FIAT 9.55535-GS1 CONTRACTUAL TECNICAL REFERENCE No:F020.B12

NOTE the ACEA C2.

You will find other SAE 0W-30 oils out there but most are ACEA C3. One even claims it is C2/C3 which is rather odd because the C2 and C3 specs are technically different.

PETRONAS, who make the Selenia Digitek Pure Energy also make PETRONAS Syntium 7000E 0W-30 ACEA C2 however PETRONAS technical support only recommend the use of Selenia Digitek for the 500X 1.4 MultiAir II (and others) engine.

Goodcoin, does your Tigershark engine use the Multiair valve actuation system? If it doesn't, it may be less fussy on the oil.

It's service time again, just an intermediate this time. My car has covered just over 6000 mils since the last service. According to the handbook, this means that an oil and filter change is recommended, not compulsory. Given the complex nature and the oil sensitivity of the Multiair engine, I'm having them changed. Cost is a bit severe at £227 at my nearest main dealer, and they aren't just around the corner, so it'll be Shop4parts and a local service shop next time.

There is nothing to stop you purchasing the Selenia Digitek PE (comes in 2 litre cans so you will need 2 cans as about 2.7 ish litres is required) and a Fiat Oil Filter then getting a local trusted and VAT registered garage to do the service and make sure they stamp the book and has their VAT number on the stamp/invoice for the service.

The only downside to doing it this way is that if your car is still under warranty and there are any service campaigns to be applied to the vehicle then these can only be done at the Fiat dealer. So I would check with your dealer if there are any outstanding campaigns for your car first. If there are then definitely pay the extra money and use the services of the Fiat dealer.

Yes, must admit I'm being lazy and using the same main dealer I have in the past, who have been effecient and competent. But as it's now out of warranty, will use a local indy next time.

I have kind of split the Fiat / Petronas divide.

Petronas do the official Selenia Digitek - SAE 0W-30 ACEA C2

They also do the Petronas Syntium 7000E - 0W30 ACEA C2 API SN - 5Ltr - Fully Synthetic

If you ask Petronas technical they will tell you to use Selenia Digitek. I can understand this from their point of view but (contrary to my old standpoint of some years ago) I've gone down the Syntium 7000E route.

I think what is key for any oil you choose is that is a C2 and not C3 rated oil. How Shell/others can say they have C2/C3 rated compatible oils I don't understand as C2 specs are different to C3 specs. I've tried asking them but they can not really qualitatively answer. But if you ask the likes of Castrol they will say C3 is not compatible and will refuse to recommend.

All I can say is that MultiAir engines are more sensitive to oil specification so you need to be exactly or as close as you can to the Fiat OE specifications/approvals as you can.

Back