Technical Stilo Abarth Selespeed failure

Currently reading:
Technical Stilo Abarth Selespeed failure

A Hitman

Probably broken down
Hi All, the Selespeed in my Stilo has started playing up, it decided to drop into neutral at midnight and leave me stranded at the lights... :cry:

- It was mostly driving fine before the fault, it did drop into 1st while I was slowing down 15min earlier (not sure if I somehow caused that)
- No error when it failed (it did briefly flash a gearbox failure fault about 700m up the road when going over a bump)
- Was unable to select any gears, no noise from gearbox.

I got it back to my place and checked over it:
- Gear Stick is working, ECU can see what gear is requested
- Hydraulic pressure is fine, sitting between 40 and 50psi.
- Selespeed fluid is below the fill line by about 5mm (photo attached)
- Error P1741 - Engagement sensor - was stored on the selespeed ECU
- Clearing this error while the car was running made the gearbox make a clunk noise, it then managed to get 5th gear and stall the car..
- Seems to be able to get between R and 5th, but stalls the car when running :bang:

Does anyone have any ideas before I take it to my mechanic?

Attachments

• IMG_20181019_0011144.jpg
    IMG_20181019_0011144.jpg
    611 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_20181019_1949507.jpg
    IMG_20181019_1949507.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 97
Didn't notice any pressure spikes, I will have to watch more closely when I next test it.
With the engine off it only appears to get into 5th and R (and it is hard to get it to do this even)

Did some more tests, it managed to get into all gears today for some reason..

It still takes off normally but when changing gears it sometimes "clunks" and when slowing down it sometimes "clunks" and stalls.
Selespeed oil level was correct after a short drive so that does not appear to be the problem.
Pressure was getting up to 50 bar and falling no lower than 40 bar when moving through the gears.
It passed the gearbox "production / service final calibration", it went through all gears without issue.

No errors are being logged either (typical)...

Video of issue:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/9CujS6RbUSwsnNZz7

Last edited:
Hi Hitman, hope your problem is solved, I’m gonna give you som ideas what to chechk, I’m havin a lot of troubles with my stilo also for a long time and all of my problems are relating to selespeed gearbox, first failure in my stilo was the accumulator that black sphere so when that fails gearbox will deop to N whenever you are stationary and you have to try few more times to go in1st gear and aganwill drop in N and so on, after I replaces accumulator I gotnew fault which was selespeed punp, symptoms of a failing selespeed pump are : no priming when you open drovers door so there will be no pressure in the system i tried hitting the pump from abve and it came on so I replaces the pump and for some months everything went well, now I have another issue ( pump is replaced, accumulator also) but pressure drops fast sometimes every 30 sec, so after a lot things tried today I’ve replaces the EV0 valve Iheard that if EV0 valve goes bad it will leak pressure inside so until now everything looks good.

I gave you these infos so at least you could find something useful accordin to my problems.

Hope you will have luck fixing it without spending a lot of money

Regards !

I got as far as I could, it drives now but just wont change between gears or stop smoothly.

Dropped it off at the mechanic last week, they think it might be the Selespeed robot so they are going to take the working one of my spare car and test, should know the final result this week.

Ok than , they have to check Ev1 end Ev 2 , those two little robots are responsible for correct gear changes !

Finally got it fixed a couple of weeks ago, the workshop said they had not seen a failure like this before..

They found a new error in the ECU, sensor error.
Sensor was replaced (PN 71716195) was replaced, some improvement with shifting but still not resolved.

They then decided the hydraulic pressure was getting low.
Another acumulator was fitted, however they found it would now not calibrate?

My spare Selespeed ECU was fitted, no change.
ECU out of an older car was fitted (older part #), calibration completed.

It is now back to normal, downshifting and clutch is much improved when slowing down too.

They said it seems to be a common issue where the ECU will not "reset" and let them run a calibration after swapping parts like clutches on other cars, has anyone else found this before?

Hi, just Want to know what tool was used to get the new ECU to work in your car./Michael

Back