General Removing a diff locking retaining pin

Currently reading:
General Removing a diff locking retaining pin

So i did see this pin on my diffs... it locks the shaft holding the sun / plannet gears

Its not a hex / or torxs

It like a bit of metal folded over....

How the hell do you get the thing out....
Im looking to get a 2nd diff to repair my current box...
Item 5 in picture

Ziggy Screenshot_20181010-215450.jpeg

These are known as roll pins. Spring steel, tight in their hole, so hold themselves in.

To remove or replace, need a parallel punch of same diameter as the hole, or as close as possible. Too small and it will tend to jam in the centre of the pin, making things worse.
Support the opposite side and tap the punch firmly with hammer. A small hammer is usually enough.

Never re-use. Always replace with a new one.

This is whats weird...
There is NO hole the other side to punch it out with.... 1way street.....

Ill get piks when i can
Currently fitted a donor box and its not the best..... so need to get a move and find another....

Ziggy

Always a pain when a rollpin is in a blind hole. Need to get something into the centre of it, to grip and drag it out, but that is difficult as it is a hardened steel pin. An eezi-out is usually too wide a taper. A self-tapping screw can work, if you can find the right one, whatever that might look like. Anything too tight will try to spread the pin and make it grip more, not tight enough and it won't grip.

Good luck with that. Much swearing and many tears are likely.

Is the other hole hidden by the large drive wheel?

Otherwise I found a few methods that are claimed to work for small spring pins in blind holes,

The simplest is to hydraulically force it out by getting some stiff strong wire like piano wire or some alternative round thin object that will fit into the opening. Fill the whole with thick paste or grease or clay and hydraulically force it out by hammering the wire into the hole.

Then you get into tiny taps and screws and slide hammering it out, or welding something to the end of it and slide hammering it out.

So some time later (2months)

Drilling is the only option

The you have to smash the main pin out to break the last bit off

You cant force it without weakening it

Ziggy

https://www.docdroid.net/dV4MutG/fiat-albea-14-8v-gearbox-differential.pdf#page=39

I just found this fiat c514.5 repair manual. Believe it or not the recommended procedure to remove that pin is to crack the differential carrier using a chisel at the other side of the pin and then punch it through! :eek:

They also have a procedure to check the differential bearing preload which would have to be a must if you are changing differential carriers.

Last edited:
I just found a fiat c514.5 repair manual. Believe it or not the recommended procedure to remove that pin is to crack the differential carrier using a chisel at the other side of the pin and then punch it through! :eek:

They also have a procedure to check the differential bearing preload which would have to be a must if you are changing differential carriers.

I just dont know how to upload the PDF or were to put it as it applies to about 6? cars.
Drillin it was a bitch.... i did wonder about back drilling tbh....

But cracking it.... no no no.... that will cause problems elsewhere i can see it...

Ziggy

Last edited:
Back