Technical Poor radio reception

Currently reading:
Technical Poor radio reception

maggers

Up to no good somewhere..
Hiya, Just returned to the Fiat fold with a 500X Cross which is a great car except for lousy radio reception. I can get the stuff i don't want like Radio 1 or Classic FM pin sharp but the stuff i do want like Heart FM or Absolute are useless unless i'm in the right place.
I know it's not the aerial mast because i tried the one from my son's 500 Abarth which works fine on his. I have the 5" Uconnect without nav - is it just me or is there a problem? I know i could stream it from my phone but that kinda defeats the object plus the phone is smarter than the user!
Any ideas folks?

Might be an idea to see if the UConnect software is up todate, I have the 6.5 unit so not sure how the smaller unit works but understand it is a bit more user friendly. When that has been done retune the radio.

So there is a way? Unofficially?

There is a French website where you can download the firmware from. Use Chrome to translate the page into English and that will reveal the instructions, but I have no idea how successful it is. I BELIEVE that one of our members has succeeded in doing it, but not clear if anyone has tried and failed. It seems to work for our European neighbours though.

The link is in this forum somewhere but can't put my finger on it at the moment.

It is a misconception that any upgrades on the 6.5 unit have to be carried out at an agents. I know it is very odd that it is possible to update the operating system on the unit but not the maps, they do have to be done at an agents, this is where the misunderstanding comes in.
To check/upgrade the firmware/operating system use the following procedure as detailed by Fiat.
Make sure the UConnect app is installed on your phone.

1. Pair your phone with the head unit in the car
2. Press the APPS icon on the main screen
3. Select the UConnect Icon
4. Select the Settings icon (on the main screen, not the button.)
5. Select the Update Info option.
All of this must be done with the ignition switched on or else the correct screens will not be shown.
The system will then advise if the software is up to date or there is a upgrade available which can be down loaded and installed then.

I use an Apple phone and carry out the procedure on my drive so the phone is connected to the internet via my home WIFI for a more reliable and quicker service.

Hope that this helps and clears up the myth that anything to do with the 6.5 has to be carried out at an agents

The UConnect app should be available at the App store if you don't have it.

It is a misconception that any upgrades on the 6.5 unit have to be carried out at an agents. I know it is very odd that it is possible to update the operating system on the unit but not the maps, they do have to be done at an agents, this is where the misunderstanding comes in.
To check/upgrade the firmware/operating system use the following procedure as detailed by Fiat.
Make sure the UConnect app is installed on your phone.

1. Pair your phone with the head unit in the car
2. Press the APPS icon on the main screen
3. Select the UConnect Icon
4. Select the Settings icon (on the main screen, not the button.)
5. Select the Update Info option.
All of this must be done with the ignition switched on or else the correct screens will not be shown.
The system will then advise if the software is up to date or there is a upgrade available which can be down loaded and installed then.

I use an Apple phone and carry out the procedure on my drive so the phone is connected to the internet via my home WIFI for a more reliable and quicker service.

Hope that this helps and clears up the myth that anything to do with the 6.5 has to be carried out at an agents

The UConnect app should be available at the App store if you don't have it.

Thanks for the tip, it does work, but it has left me just as confused as ever.

I'm on Version 16 Firmware, I know that Version 18 is out there but following the instructions above the system tells me I'm up to date.:confused:

The software/firmware version I have on my 6.6 is 17.07.46. I recently did an upgrade on mine but when I get time will check to see if there have been any further updates since then.

I am also wondering whilst all 6.5 units may look the same are there any internal electronic variations so not all upgrades may or may not be applicable to that size screen. When Fiat gave me the procedure to check and upgrade as I have already given you they stated my VIN number. My car is a late 2016 build though I did not buy it until Sept 2017 as a pre reg car with 12 miles on the clock.

It took a while to get the hang of the UConnect system but once you ignore the fancy bits I think it is good, only been let down once by the maps.

I've just tried checking my firmware level but it won't recognise my VIN number. I can't see that it would affect radio reception, i don't give a monkeys' about pairing a phone - i'm Billy no mates and don't want to use my phone in the car anyway - i just want some tunes! It's got to go back for a few things anyway next week so i'll mention it then.

If the radia reception is shonky, then surely it *must* be down to the aerial, since the radio plays sharp when it's in the right location.

It may be worth taking the aerial off and cleaning up the contacts... and whilst it is out, attaching the connections to a massive long "receiver" like an expanded clothes hanger, to see if it sounds better/different, just to see if it changes things.

Ralf S.

Well, They finally had it in today and fitted a new aerial base which seems to have done the trick. Would'nt do the other things i complained about though which has hacked me off.

I never got round to doing this but I’m really fed up with the crap reception. As my car was a write off that I have repaired clearly not covered by warranty. I can only guess that the aerial base will be an arm and a leg. I wonder if it’s worth buying one from a crashed car?

I will try the software update first.

I never got round to doing this but I’m really fed up with the crap reception. As my car was a write off that I have repaired clearly not covered by warranty. I can only guess that the aerial base will be an arm and a leg. I wonder if it’s worth buying one from a crashed car?

I will try the software update first.

Apart from the wilds of the Pennines etc my reception on FM and DAB is fine. I presume the aerial is the first thing to try

I am unable to access the settings menu. According to unconnected on my phone, uconnect isn’t set up on my car but I can’t find anywhere to do that in any menus. IMG_0136.JPG

Last edited:
Back