Technical Any experience with Ecotrons EFI kit?

Currently reading:
Technical Any experience with Ecotrons EFI kit?

JumpJet

Established member
While bored and perusing the interwebs, I came across this small engine EFI kit by Ecotrons - https://www.ecotrons.com/small_engine_fuel_injection_kit/400cc_to_800cc_engine_fuel_injection_kit/

For a while, I've had delusions of building my spare motor up as 600ish CC EFI. I can't, for the life of me, find anyone who has done an EFI conversion on a classic 500.

I'm sure this would wind up being wildly cost-prohibitive and/or not worth it, but I'm curious.

Anyone?

Yes.. it can be made to work..... looked at it when they first started production...

Hi
I did it. It can't be done any more since Ecotron has stop producing EFI kits. They also stop their technical support. Quite frustrating since if a major item will brake, like the ECU, there is no direct replacement for it. The outcome however was very pleasing. I've got a 34mm throttle body kit. Cost was around 1400$ for the whole kit. I had to design and manufacture the intake manifold and the piece between the throttle body and air filter. The system has two injectors inline. One in the throttle body and the other is closer to the head, mounted on the intake manifold. They say it's a patent they have. They switch between injectors according to engine RPM for better fuel / air mixture. The engine has several more upgrades. It has the 540cc pistons and cylinder kit, sport camshaft, huge valves and sport Exhaust. All that brings the car to a top speed of almost 130kmh and cruising at 100 - 110kmh is easy. 0-100 takes about 30 seconds. I intend to upgrade to 695cc. Since I'm using the original car 110F engine block, the only safe way to do it is as Abarth did, with 76mm pistons and 76mm crank travel. Nanni offers this kit. I mainly going to do it for the extra torque when going uphill. If all roads were level..., I wouldn't have change a thing.

Attachments

• 20200107_201513.jpg
    20200107_201513.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 128
  • E11.jpg
    E11.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 119
  • E33.jpg
    E33.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 122
  • E44.jpg
    E44.jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 121
Hi
I did it. It can't be done any more since Ecotron has stop producing EFI kits. They also stop their technical support. Quite frustrating since if a major item will brake, like the ECU, there is no direct replacement for it. The outcome however was very pleasing. I've got a 34mm throttle body kit. Cost was around 1400$ for the whole kit. I had to design and manufacture the intake manifold and the piece between the throttle body and air filter. The system has two injectors inline. One in the throttle body and the other is closer to the head, mounted on the intake manifold. They say it's a patent they have. They switch between injectors according to engine RPM for better fuel / air mixture. The engine has several more upgrades. It has the 540cc pistons and cylinder kit, sport camshaft, huge valves and sport Exhaust. All that brings the car to a top speed of almost 130kmh and cruising at 100 - 110kmh is easy. 0-100 takes about 30 seconds. I intend to upgrade to 695cc. Since I'm using the original car 110F engine block, the only safe way to do it is as Abarth did, with 76mm pistons and 76mm crank travel. Nanni offers this kit. I mainly going to do it for the extra torque when going uphill. If all roads were level..., I wouldn't have change a thing.
Hi Matt:--Being that it seems that this system is no longer available, there is one other way to (fairly) simply fit fuel-injection to the 500/126 engine. I was at Middle Barton Garages today where I was shown a '695' that has had fuel-injection fitted. It has used a "JENVY" fuel body. These look just like a Weber 40 DCOE, so a commercialy available manifold can be utilised. They have developed a pick-up sensor for the system, so maybe a quick word with Tony Castle-Miller would fill in all the other details for you. That particular engine developes just a shade more power than the original "695SS" versions, and I am told with very smooth progression.

First of all, Nachman.. Slick looking engine! Whats the secondary unit under the alternator.. Looks like a mini ac compressor/dry sump/power steering pump?.. Curious what that is. ;)

Jumpjet; If your looking for a install and tune kit, i unfortunately don't have any suggestions.

However if your looking to design and assemble your own efi kit (minus electronics). I have some experience with the Megasquirt and microsquirt ECU systems. I am going to do a microsquirt kit on my 2nd engine build (big bore turbo), and they are a great little cost effective system to plan with when doing a efi conversion.

Nowadays, efi can be pretty much "order and bolt on" with a few custom "parts" depending on how you want to do it.

That throttle body hobbler mentioned is a very cool pc of kit. I was a vw bug nut when i was younger, and although efi conversions were kinda rare due to the limited availability of standalone efi ECU's. The weber DCOE "style" carbs were very popular in the air cooled bug world. With a large classic vw community and their demand for "customization goodies" i was able to recently find a DCOE style efi throttle body. It has a mini fuel rail, throttle position sensor, and accepts std bosch injectors (cant remember what version off the top of my head).

Again fitting something like this to a small stroke engine wouldn't be the best solution. But there are ways depending on how many grey hairs you want. You could in theory, cut the efi DCOE in half, and only use one throttle body with the fancy injector setup.

On/Off For the past 4 years i have been building a classic MB supercharged V8 with a full efi and i am using the megasquirt pro ECU for it. I hope to have it atleast start this year. Currently converting all the drive accessories to a modern serptintine belts have been a chore. But i want to see it atleast run on the test bench. Its definitely been no small feat. Ive attached 2 old mockup photos as i was doing layout.

Attachments

• IMG_3975.JPG
    IMG_3975.JPG
    147.5 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_3542.JPG
    IMG_3542.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 55
  • IMG_3547.JPG
    IMG_3547.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Like Bounding Bambino, I’ve experience of Megasquirt in the past, having built several systems for both myself and friends, and if I were to want to do an EFI conversion on my 500 that is where I’d start.

They are fascinating systems to work with and tune, and very flexible to use all kinds of hardware. I’ve made good use of motorcycle throttle bodies in the past, they are available in all kinds of sizes and are often self contained with injectors, similar to aftermarket throttle bodies like the Jenvey ones mentioned by The Hobbler, but available secondhand for 1/10th the price!

But from experience I would say that if you want to try Megasquirt you have to want to enjoy the electronics project in its own right, and beyond that the experience of of learning to tune the EFI. It is quite a steep learning curve and there will be teething problems and challenges along the way.

If you just want a system that ‘works’, then I’d be looking for something else more turn key.

The Merc v8 project looks great, Bounding Bambino. I’m currently collecting parts to supercharge my Daimler v8 and do a Megasquirt EFI conversion on it.

First of all, Nachman.. Slick looking engine! Whats the secondary unit under the alternator.. Looks like a mini ac compressor/dry sump/power steering pump?.. Curious what that is. ;)

Jumpjet; If your looking for a install and tune kit, i unfortunately don't have any suggestions.

However if your looking to design and assemble your own efi kit (minus electronics). I have some experience with the Megasquirt and microsquirt ECU systems. I am going to do a microsquirt kit on my 2nd engine build (big bore turbo), and they are a great little cost effective system to plan with when doing a efi conversion.

Nowadays, efi can be pretty much "order and bolt on" with a few custom "parts" depending on how you want to do it.

That throttle body hobbler mentioned is a very cool pc of kit. I was a vw bug nut when i was younger, and although efi conversions were kinda rare due to the limited availability of standalone efi ECU's. The weber DCOE "style" carbs were very popular in the air cooled bug world. With a large classic vw community and their demand for "customization goodies" i was able to recently find a DCOE style efi throttle body. It has a mini fuel rail, throttle position sensor, and accepts std bosch injectors (cant remember what version off the top of my head).

Again fitting something like this to a small stroke engine wouldn't be the best solution. But there are ways depending on how many grey hairs you want. You could in theory, cut the efi DCOE in half, and only use one throttle body with the fancy injector setup.

On/Off For the past 4 years i have been building a classic MB supercharged V8 with a full efi and i am using the megasquirt pro ECU for it. I hope to have it atleast start this year. Currently converting all the drive accessories to a modern serptintine belts have been a chore. But i want to see it atleast run on the test bench. Its definitely been no small feat. Ive attached 2 old mockup photos as i was doing layout.
And the advantage of the "Middle Barton" system is that it "tried and tested"---it works. And, with parts that can be renewed/replaced!

And the advantage of the "Middle Barton" system is that it "tried and tested"---it works. And, with parts that can be renewed/replaced!
Exactly, alot can be said for a plug and play system. You can spend endless sleepless hours figuirng out or planning a efi build. lol

The Merc v8 project looks great, Bounding Bambino. I’m currently collecting parts to supercharge my Daimler v8 and do a Megasquirt EFI conversion on it.
If you need any info on Rotrex superchargers, i got lots. After spending a year sizing and specing out literally every SC on the market, ive settled down to the Rotrex C38R. Best option for my application.

Exactly, alot can be said for a plug and play system. You can spend endless sleepless hours figuirng out or planning a efi build. lol

If you need any info on Rotrex superchargers, i got lots. After spending a year sizing and specing out literally every SC on the market, ive settled down to the Rotrex C38R. Best option for my application.
A cheaper way of getting close to '695' is to bore a 110 crankcase out to accept '652cc' 126 barrels (which can be safely done), and then bore them 0.6mm oversize (with new pistons). This will bring you to about 665cc. I accept the fact that it is not '695', but a 76mm crankshaft is NOT "pocket-money!

I'm perfecly satisfied with the old school simplicity of the totally mechanical 500 - it's part of its charm. Extra power is nice, but not essential. With a standard 652 lump it goes well enough to challenge the brakes. Way back when I actually did the odd 12 car event in a bog standard 500 Sport (N/D with 21hp 499 unit for those that don't know) and it was plenty quick enough but as always things move on and it's probably hard pushed to keep up with daily traffic now.

I'm perfecly satisfied with the old school simplicity of the totally mechanical 500 - it's part of its charm. Extra power is nice, but not essential. With a standard 652 lump it goes well enough to challenge the brakes. Way back when I actually did the odd 12 car event in a bog standard 500 Sport (N/D with 21hp 499 unit for those that don't know) and it was plenty quick enough but as always things move on and it's probably hard pushed to keep up with daily traffic now.
Spoke to Tony Castle-Miller today (he of Middle Barton Garage fame). The fuel injection set-up that he has devised is NOT a cheap set-up---you are looking at about £3,000 for just the parts, plus the labour to fit and set-up correctly. He is NOT selling it as a "DIY" kit, but would be prepared to fit this system to an engine. It uses all well proven (and replaceable) parts and the car drives very smoothly.

Back