Technical Starting issues with a '91 Panda Dance

Currently reading:
Technical Starting issues with a '91 Panda Dance

hello,

my family own a 1991 fiat panda dance 900cc that is having some starting issues and I was wondering if i could get some advice from the fiat hivemind.

It has been misbehaving for a while especially in the damp and generally not starting when we need it to.

At each point ive replaced something that looks to be the cause got it behaving and then it's started misbehaving in a way that would suggest there's something I'm missing.

The dizzy cap and rotor have been replaced. Both are in good nick and are not showing arcing damage or crud build up.

The points have been replaced. Whilst on holiday i noticed the old points had a deep gouge in one of the contacts and so replaced the points and the capacitor. These new points were better but i badly set the gap so the car wasn't better overall. I then correctly gapped the points and set everything and the car behaved better for a few days but now it's not starting again.

The other thing that happens that i wonder if related is the car will not bump start. i've once ran it for a quarter mile down hill with the engine turning over but no running. is that just a panda thing? it seems odd as hell to me.

so please almighty hivemind :worship: what say thee?

Have you checked the timing belt ? Could be out by a tooth

As long as you've checked petrol is coming through it sounds as though it's electrics. What are the plug leads like? If there's no spark at the plugs is the HT coil lead connected ok or faulty? I once had a look under bonnet at night in the dark & realised a misfire was due to HT leads ....they were tracking all over the place. Sounds like you're nearly there & best of luck.

Last edited:
Hi there, if your thinking of putting new plug leads on give me a shout I have a new set of genuine FIAT leads here for a Panda 903cc part number on the bag is 7604977, also have the cartridge type points here aswell if that's the type of points in your car?

Cheers Trevor.

Back