Technical Gear box or clutch

Currently reading:
Technical Gear box or clutch

Rbropesz

One day i couldnt engage my 5th gear anymore . I have noticed that 1st and second gears were stiff . But now after all of this theirs a loud rattlig sound and i can feel it on the cluttch i have a fiat bravo 1.6 multijet dynamic

Press clutch = no rattling = clutch set is busted.
Press clutch/release clutch, still rattling, something on the engine side of the clutch, like DMF.

So its nothing to do with gearbox even with the 5th gear not engaging

If you can feel vibrations on the clutch, this is bad. It's possible to be a fly wheel, because diesels have dual mass fly wheel which over time can break a spring/s which is reducing the vibration and then becomes rattly. DMFs are expensive and when broken they rattle all the time and you can feel the vibrations in the clutch pedal, especially when you place you foot on the pedal lightly. If you model is with a clutch bearing and not hydraulic clutch bearing it's possible that it can cause the problem too, because if it's stuck and not spinning properly on the clutch diaphragm, it could cause the same kind of problems, so you have to take the transmission down either options.

Last edited:
Thank you for explaining that, you've just helped in diagnosing my issue.

I have a 1.4 tjet sport with the M32 gearbox and my clutch is slipping. All gears are smooth to go in and out and there's no bad vibration or anything. It just slips when I give it more than 2/3's throttle. As the boost properly comes on. I've been told that the DMF can be skimmed/serviced. But it's rather pricey for a temporary fix.

Question 1: Does it last long or am I looking to repeat the procedure again in a year or less time?

Replacing it for new here in RSA is about 1200 GBP which is damn pricey. Or I can source the part locally/internationally myself and just pay labor.

Second part of the question(sorry :) )

I know there are conversion kits to go SMF, which is what I leaning to for both performance and keeping maintenance costs down. Could you point me in the right direction of the correct kit or supplier? Also any advice or suggestions would be great.

Clutch slipping is when you push the pedal, your car revs, but does not accelerate. If you have that, then you need to replace the clutch disk, but no one replaces only clutch disk, so you should replace all clutch disk, pressure plate and bearing (the whole clutch kit). Gasoline engines do not stress the DMF that much so in your case when installing a new clutch kit, if you do not have problems currently with the DMF and when checked manually the clearance is fine, then no change is required. DMFs on gasoline engines tend to last more than ones in diesel engines, but have in mind that clutch slipping is stressing the DMF additionally so you better fix that as soon as possible.

Also converting gasoline engine to SMF is actually not that bad and you should not find that much difference, but have in mind that the torque will stress that otherwise fragile gearbox more, but it should handle it fine.

Last edited:
This one about is aluminium which means it is lighter then DMF even the regular factory SMF, so it should bring more power, that is why it is that expensive. It's actually considered in tuning projects, but with M32, I really don't think it's a good idea.

Back