General Head gasket replacement cost?

Currently reading:
General Head gasket replacement cost?

tonyn

Anybody have an idea of what this job should cost ?
2004 Panda 1.1 Active
Manchester area
Thanks

Thanks for the reply Varesecrazy
The wife was running it with a non functioning fan, with the hot weather we had recently it cooked the head

Shocked how cheep that is tbh
Allthrough sounds like you needed it to bw

via ebay = Andys Auto Parts ( AAP Oldham):worship:

I've used @10 of his £10 HG's , never an issue. various punto's, etc
(at 1 point we had a punto 55 , Cinq sporting, and the '04 Panda.. they all had andys gaskets in their 1108 engines)

the bolts are NOT "single-use" , but as I'd had it apart 6 weeks earlier.. the Panda got a bolt set..
all the others have just had a gasket..and a re-torque using MY Method..

it's not a complex motor to do it on..

worst part is having to remove O/S engine mount.. so you need to support weight of engine on the dodgy steel sump.. :(

I've posted the odd pic in the GUIDES of the finer points.. (y)

If the radiator is old you might as well change that at the same time. It's more likely to be the real cause of the problems.

Also check the inlet manifold is ok. The material is same to 100C but not much more.

If the radiator is old you might as well change that at the same time. It's more likely to be the real cause of the problems.

Also check the inlet manifold is ok. The material is same to 100C but not much more.

It'd also be common sense to replace the cambelt and possibly the water pump; the cambelt is coming off anyway.

TBH unless you've the skills to do all the work yourself, I can't see how this can be an economically viable repair. Another member has just bought a 2008 1.2 Micra for £900; that's 4yrs newer than yours and objectively a better car, so it'd be hard to see how yours could be worth more than half that once it's fixed.

In any case, before spending serious money, check the rear beam for corrosion; on a 14 yr old car, that might now be close to MOT failure territory and that's another £1k+ repair, unless you do it yourself.

Paradoxically, if the rear beam is sound, then you might get more than you think if you put in on ebay for parts "as is". Put that money with what you'd spend on a garage repair for yours, and you'd likely be able to buy something better than yours will be once it's fixed.

Definitely give the car a good check over. If there are other areas needing work it's probably best to do as JRK says and get rid. They don't last for ever.

Even with cam belt, gaskets, etc a Panda head gasket is not costly in parts but labour fees will add up considerably.

Last edited:
Back