Multiecuscan

Currently reading:
Multiecuscan

May be unknown etc codes as in the phonic wheel was replaced / or suspected but the original poster has no further diagnostic data to offer.

But you are also correct in asking the question as it is very annoying when people "half post" and by that I mean they know something we don't and are left guessing. Also many, but thankfull most, never ever come back to say thank you and let us know how they get on and thus feed valuable information back to all of us.

Two way street!

This sounds suspiciously like the cam belt change was not done properly using the correct timing tools or something was damaged in the process.

Not using the correct timing tools is a common issue especially if the vehicle has seen more than one cam belt change as timing can slowly shift with each belt change till eventually the last change is the one that causes problems.

As your car is a 2012 model then I suspect this is it's 1st cam belt change so drift is unlikely to be the issue.

How long after the belt change was it before the light came on?

I think the garage should be looking at this for you (free of charge) as everything was fine before they got their hands on it. If you go messing around then you give them every opportunity to was their hands and walk away.

This sounds suspiciously like the cam belt change was not done properly using the correct timing tools or something was damaged in the process.

Not using the correct timing tools is a common issue especially if the vehicle has seen more than one cam belt change as timing can slowly shift with each belt change till eventually the last change is the one that causes problems.

As your car is a 2012 model then I suspect this is it's 1st cam belt change so drift is unlikely to be the issue.

I think the garage should be looking at this for you (free of charge) as everything was fine before they got their hands on it. If you go messing around then you give them every opportunity to was their hands and walk away.

My thoughts exactly. :)

The Grande does this
.but only at elevated RPM...!!

More info we could do with to offer more comprehensive advice... ;)

OK. Hear what you say / thread content.

BUT you paid for a cambelt change so to complete the process a phonic wheel relearn is required. Surely this is the responsibility of the garage and not you. And if there is an alignment error then the relearn could just mask an inherant issue, to come back and bite at a later date possibly.

You make a very important point here s130. The garage has been paid to do the whole job and, whilst it might be that a new problem has arisen independent from the job, it's more probable that the correct proceedure or part of the task has not been followed/completed. If anyone other than the garage "fiddles" with it this gives them a good excuse to walk away! However if they are not familiar with the peculiarities of the 8 valve engine and have diagnostic gear (Multiecuscan or similar) which can perform the relearn you're on a looser I think?

Earlier this year I renewed the timing belts on both our 1.2 Panda Dynamic Eco (solid cam sprocket) and my boy's 1.4 8valve Punto (variable cam sprocket) and, not having worked on these newer engines before, I did a lot of reading up and research before I started. I completely agree that the most fulproof way to do this job is using the locking tools but I also found local garages around me who do it by the tippex method and say they have no subsequent problems. I have done it both ways with equal success.

From what I've read it would appear that sometimes, after the mechanical task of actually renewing the belt and/or water pump etc, even when correctly done, missfire codes, exactly as you detail, appear. Often only when higher revs are sustained for longer than just a few moments - for instance when on the open road. Again, from what I've read, although the ECU is reporting misfiring the car runs normally with no obvious misfiring being felt by the driver. The consensus of opinion seems to be that this is because, with the new components installed, the relationship between the crank sensor and cam sensor has altered very slightly and the ECU, incorrectly, interprets this as a misfire. It needs to relearn this new relationship. That's what the Phonic Wheel Relearn accomplishes.

The local Fiat main agent tells me they always do the relearn. The Gates kits I bought for both our cars mention the need for a relearn in the enclosed literature. The local Fiat independent, confusingly, said they did it when needed? I'm guessing that was reference to the fact that some engines (8valve) need it and some (16valve?) don't? None of the "back Street boy's" knew what a phonic wheel relearn was! But, were quite happy to do a belt change with all describing it as an easy job! This doesn't particularly surprise me as you can only do the relearn if you have the Fiat diagnostic gear or Multiecuscan!

So, after all that, I think you need to chuck it back at the garage and, perhaps, contrive to drop into the conversation a mention of Phonic Wheel Relearns. If you are greeted by a blank, or puzzled facial expression, then I think you have your answer!

Back