Technical Rapid clicking. Won’t start

Currently reading:
Technical Rapid clicking. Won’t start

Dreydog79

My fiat 500 is making a rapid clicking noise as I try to start it. It doesn’t start. The dash lights up and says abs, low fuel, engine, battery. I’ve googled it and it seems to be the battery. It has been juddery the last few weeks almost like It’s ging yo cut out mid drive. Does it just need a new battery?

2011. I don’t think the battery has been changed since! So frustrating. Someone’s gonna come and help me out tomorrow

So changed the battery. The car kicks in, all good. But the stop start isn’t working and the engine warning comes on ?. Is this just because the battery has been changed?

So changed the battery. The car kicks in, all good. But the stop start isn’t working and the engine warning comes on ?. Is this just because the battery has been changed?

Which light comes on? The EML engine warning light or generic triangle? I believe the SS system has to learn that a new battery has been fitted over time (others will advise better)
Can you take a picture of the dash light?

So changed the battery. The car kicks in, all good. But the stop start isn’t working and the engine warning comes on . Is this just because the battery has been changed?
The battery hasn't been changed since brand new in 2011 and now you have a new battery?

If you had a dodgy battery and now a good one, why isn't the SS working?
Was it working when you had the dodgy battery since 2011 and now you have a new one and it's not?

I don't understand.

If your car is a SS car, it needs an expensive and special battery. Expect to pay over £100 for one.
A normal non-SS car would have a battery costing maybe £30.

Which battery have you bought, and did the SS work before?

Mick.

Last edited:
Well! I’ve been out in it today and mysteriously all the warning lights have gone and the stop start works again. So it just needed to re-learn! I’ve noticed a big difference today must of been dying for a while!! Yay happy 500 again.

Thank you everyone, getting me through the panic!

Feel free to correct me, but if the S/S is now working, it can only be because the correct battery is fitted due to the various parameters involved in S/S operation?

Even a non S/S battery may function as intended for a short while when it's new, but it likely won't be long before you start seeing S/S issues if you don't use the correct one.

My fiat 500 is making a rapid clicking noise as I try to start it. It doesn’t start. The dash lights up and says abs, low fuel, engine, battery. I’ve googled it and it seems to be the battery. It has been juddery the last few weeks almost like It’s ging yo cut out mid drive. Does it just need a new battery?
Hi,
I seem to be having the same problems as the Original Poster in my wife's 2016 Fiat 500 1.2.

When putting the key in the ignition and turning it, all of the warning lights on the dash flash and then I get an array of messages on the information display on the speedo such as 'ABS not available', 'Tyre pressure not available', 'Power Steering not available' etc. This is accompanied by a clicking sound from what appears to be the fuse box.

The car does not have Stop/Start (or if it does it is disabled) and didn't show any problems until this happened this morning. I have now put the battery on a charge to see if this helps. Or do I need a new battery straight away? Given that the car is only 3 years old that seems like a short lifespan for a battery?

Appreciate any feedback that you may have.

Cheers

Hi,
I seem to be having the same problems as the Original Poster in my wife's 2016 Fiat 500 1.2.

When putting the key in the ignition and turning it, all of the warning lights on the dash flash and then I get an array of messages on the information display on the speedo such as 'ABS not available', 'Tyre pressure not available', 'Power Steering not available' etc. This is accompanied by a clicking sound from what appears to be the fuse box.

The car does not have Stop/Start (or if it does it is disabled) and didn't show any problems until this happened this morning. I have now put the battery on a charge to see if this helps. Or do I need a new battery straight away? Given that the car is only 3 years old that seems like a short lifespan for a battery?

Appreciate any feedback that you may have.

Cheers

Engine earth strap perhaps and flat/failed battery?
SS batteries don't last as long if it's working try www.batterymegastore.co.uk

Last edited:
Thanks very much. I'll keep charging the battery and give that a go tonight and if it doesn't help then look at the engine earth strap (I can't post URLs but title of the post that tells how to do that is 'How to replace engine earth strap'). If the above fails then buy a brand new battery (in case the old one has completely gone).

Does that sound like a reasonable plan?

Thanks very much. I'll keep charging the battery and give that a go tonight and if it doesn't help then look at the engine earth strap (I can't post URLs but title of the post that tells how to do that is 'How to replace engine earth strap'). If the above fails then buy a brand new battery (in case the old one has completely gone).

Does that sound like a reasonable plan?

I think,,,, this is the correct SS battery https://www.batterymegastore.co.uk/catalog/product/view/id/62/s/varta-blue-n60/

check, note you're in Portugal so look for the same there?

Note sure if this link is correct but try? https://mejorbaterias.com/varta-N60-1005.html

Last edited:
Back