Technical Replacing the alternator without removing the climate gas?

Currently reading:
Technical Replacing the alternator without removing the climate gas?

Zardo

too many codes
Hello,

there was a sudden smell of charcoal in my 2010 Abarth Punto Evo and I was not doing steaks.

Then the battery light turned on and shortly afterwards, the electric power steering decided not to assist my driving any longer.

Apparently the electric power steering needs at least 12.4 V otherwise it will turn itself off.

I think the charcoal dust of the alternator electrodes took fire and started burning the electrodes (made of coal).

Is there a way to either

- replace the alternator electrodes without removing the alternator itself?

- replace the altnerator as a whole without removing the climate gas pipe (which would need draining the climate gas first, using a special vaccum pump)?

My Fiat dealer told me they manage to do it without removing the pipe. However, I have no idea how and I do not know if there's a difference between Punto Evo and Punto Evo Abarth.

I have the standard 1.4 multiair 2010 APE model with 163 horsepower.

Last edited:
by the way, is this the alternator I need?

Denso DAN993

https://m.autoteiledirekt.de/denso-822627.html

abarth Punto Evo october 2010 163 horsepower...

I found 51854903 on an inofficial EPER.

Some web sites offer alternators for this number, however they then say the chosen alternator is not compatible with the car. Several sites do not offer any alternator to choose from if I start the search with entering my car. Error in the database?

Sorry you've not had any replies. If you post again under the standard Punto Evo, more people may see it.

Many of the Fiat cars need the aircon pipes or pump moved to replace the alternator. Some however have been successful without disturbing the aircon.
I cannot remember any specific details about your model, so suggest you search the forums for similar threads.
I have seen a thread where engine mountings were released and the engine pulled forward to gain access from above.
I've seen another thread where the alternator was removed from below, involving releasing a driveshaft, the engine tie-rod mounting and the exhaust. A lot of work, but the aircon remained undisturbed.

It can be a lot of hassle. If the aircon may need regassing soon, might be easier to get this all done at once.

Hi there,

I finally gave up trying it myself, bought a 30 W solar array, connected that to the battery via a dedicated solar charger and drove the car to the next fiat abarth dealer (some 15 miles away). The solar array prevented the voltage dropping below the 12.2 V threshold so the power steering would not switch itself of, and I could do the trip with ease keeping the 8 year old battery mostly charged with sunny weather.

After throwing a lot of cash at it, there is now a new Denso DAN993 alternator mounted, and some other unrelated new stuff.

The old alternator casing was cracked (fatigue?) but the electrodes looked fine, so it must have been the coils which got smoked by contact with the casing.

The old alternator casing was cracked (fatigue?) but the electrodes looked fine, so it must have been the coils which got smoked by contact with the casing.

A short in the coils likely over heated the alternator and caused it to heat up, the expansion due to heat probably cracked the casing and the smell was most likely the friction on the alternator belt as it struggled to turn the swollen alternator.

A short in the coils likely over heated the alternator and caused it to heat up, the expansion due to heat probably cracked the casing and the smell was most likely the friction on the alternator belt as it struggled to turn the swollen alternator.

Ah, thanks. The smell came from within the alternator because it ceased to smell once I disconnected the alternator electrically but not mechanically.

By the way, while in the garage, a full climate service was done and I had to pay for it too. As I understand it, they removed the gas for the repair, moved a gas conduit, replaced the alternator, put the conduit in place and refilled the gas.

The only problem with that approach was that the a/c had lost some cooling power after I got the car back. Like about 50%. First, I thought the ventilation was, for some reason, not working at full speed anymore, but 6 months later (after the winter) I found out it was the a/c as the air was no longer cooled whilst the ventilation was functional.

I still have to find a shop which has hydrogen available for leak detection.

Last edited:
Back