Off Topic Ever chosen the wrong paint colour

Currently reading:
Off Topic Ever chosen the wrong paint colour

Some people might remember me paying silly money for a full side panel for the 500 which I intended to use as a wall decoration. It's been sitting at the back of the garage for two years but I finally got round to preparing and painting it. It ended up being used as a mock-up for the colour I bought as a committee-decision for my campervan. Here follows the possting I made on that Forum.:bang
PS. It won't remain that colour for long.:)

Unfortunately we saw alovely VW T2 van today in white over buttercup yellow; it made us wonder if the somewhat "teal" shade we have chosen is the right one. So my plan now is to stick on acouple of coats of this blue-green to see how we feel about it. If it seems wrong then we're back on track for yellow. :)

I had a better idea yesterday whenit came to painting a full side-panel which I bought as a potential display item a few years ago I gave it two coats of the Teal and submitted it for inspection. I liked it more than expected but we came to the conclusion that each of us had been inaccurately second-guessing the preferences of the other......we both really wanted yellow in any case. :bang: So if anyone has a use for the best part of three litres of good quality cellulose in RAL6027 at half the price I paid for it, please get in touch.

FER_3495 by Peter Thompson, on Flickr:

Some people might remember me paying silly money for a full side panel for the 500 which I intended to use as a wall decoration. It's been sitting at the back of the garage for two years but I finally got round to preparing and painting it. It ended up being used as a mock-up for the colour I bought as a committee-decision for my campervan. Here follows the possting I made on that Forum.:bang
PS. It won't remain that colour for long.:)

I had a better idea yesterday whenit came to painting a full side-panel which I bought as a potential display item a few years ago I gave it two coats of the Teal and submitted it for inspection. I liked it more than expected but we came to the conclusion that each of us had been inaccurately second-guessing the preferences of the other......we both really wanted yellow in any case. :bang: So if anyone has a use for the best part of three litres of good quality cellulose in RAL6027 at half the price I paid for it, please get in touch.

FER_3495 by Peter Thompson, on Flickr:

Ooooooooohhhhhhh dear!!!!!!!!!!! That is indescribable!!!!!!!

On the positive that spray job looks a good finish!!!!!:D

.................So if anyone has a use for the best part of three litres of good quality cellulose in RAL6027 at half the price I paid for it, please get in touch. :

Ohhh myyyy... there are some colours that are just "WRONG"

perhaps use is as some extra base coats on the bottom....
but what an Idea I just had.. as you have one NOS side for the camper....
why not adapt the 500 side with sheet metal for the other :)

Last edited:
Ohhh myyyy... there are some colours that are just "WRONG"

perhaps use is as some extra base coats on the bottom....
but what an Idea I just had.. as you have one NOS side for the camper....
why not adapt the 500 side with sheet metal for the other :)
I was thinking they but I already have a litre or so of various greens in 250ml pots which I bought a few year ago trying to match my old Austin. It irks me that I bought a very expensive colour swatch a few years ago and the colour looks half acceptable on that. This is what comes of trying to second guess a woman who won't tell you what she really thinks.

The situation has been reviewed and my half a car is now painted the same colour as the campervan and I think it suits it well.

Now I have to work out a way to get it up onto either of the very high walls which are its chosen resting-place.:)

Attachments

• FER_0883.JPG
    FER_0883.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 64
  • FER_0882.JPG
    FER_0882.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 64
  • FER_0881.JPG
    FER_0881.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 62
Peter---you have to look on the positive side. If a Japanese gent can get a Ferrari 250GTO up onto a wall as a 'decorative item',a Cinquecento side panel should be a doddle to a man of your skills!

Looks great! How about attaching it to a homemade backing frame, then hanging it from a couple of thin cables secured to eye hooks that you can screw into the roof rafters. You can put it on either wall that way.

A couple of airing rack wheels on hanging brackets drilled into the wall should do the job. Connect up suitable ropes and heave-ho. Job done. :)

Peter---you have to look on the positive side. If a Japanese gent can get a Ferrari 250GTO up onto a wall as a 'decorative item',a Cinquecento side panel should be a doddle to a man of your skills!

....it's going to need a scaffold platform though...it's going up at a height of 4 metres.....surprisingly light though.:)

does look nice and to scale.... possibly add some flashing lights :D

thin end of the edge.......

Came across a guy who had a collection of mainly Italian motorbikes..... looking to display them he took them to work....
They have a vineyard, so thought the tasting room would look good.....

Had an idea....
it needs to be balanced with the Camper one on the other side...

It looks great don’t get me wrong but I think it would better with a door! It looks like a jigsaw puzzle with a bit missing. In the nicest possible way![emoji3]
Sheila was telling me that something else was needed as soon as it went up. So it's work in progress. I suggested flower-power stickers or a life-sized photo if me. Now I need to fool her into accepting the shelves filled with other spare parts [emoji16]

Sheila was telling me that something else was needed as soon as it went up. So it's work in progress. I suggested flower-power stickers or a life-sized photo if me. Now I need to fool her into accepting the shelves filled with other spare parts [emoji16]

See I would have gone the whole hog and put some rear light lenses on it and lit them up. Nothing too bright but just to add a bit of contrast to it. Maybe even some lights up in the wheel arches to highlight it.

See I would have gone the whole hog and put some rear light lenses on it and lit them up. Nothing too bright but just to add a bit of contrast to it. Maybe even some lights up in the wheel arches to highlight it.
Bloody hell .. I'd be just as well cutting Murf in half and driving him up the wall ![emoji16]. Less is more and anyway, you know what I'm like when I get involved with electric currants.[emoji6]
Sheila had already suggested we paint outlines of wheels on the wall. She didn't like my suggestion of the real ones when I replace them soon and have some spares. [emoji23]

Back