Off Topic What’s this for ?

Currently reading:
Off Topic What’s this for ?

AndyRKett

Distinguished member
Ok so this has been bothering me.

Original fiat roof bars, with an extra bar under the main bar, it doesn’t seem necessary and it doesn’t appear on many roof bars but Fiat OEM bars seem to often have it.

But what is it actually for? :confused:

Have been considering fitting a light bar to it :idea:

Attachments

• 347CF6E9-1C9C-4997-9CB5-54A7AD43FEEB.jpeg
    347CF6E9-1C9C-4997-9CB5-54A7AD43FEEB.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 110
I've seen something like this before. I'm guessing the roof bars do not fix to the roof with bolts into holes like the longitudinal bars on many cars. Without the drain gutters of pre-1980 cars, there is nothing really substantial for the bar to clamp onto. The lower bar resists the tendency for the feet to splay outwards, especially with a heavy load, which might otherwise allow the bars to release their grip on the roof.

I think I might have had similar on the Seicento bars. Long time ago now though, so memory fades.

I've seen something like this before. I'm guessing the roof bars do not fix to the roof with bolts into holes like the longitudinal bars on many cars. Without the drain gutters of pre-1980 cars, there is nothing really substantial for the bar to clamp onto. The lower bar resists the tendency for the feet to splay outwards, especially with a heavy load, which might otherwise allow the bars to release their grip on the roof.

I think I might have had similar on the Seicento bars. Long time ago now though, so memory fades.

Now that does make sense.

The front bar is bolted to the upper part of the door shut, however the rear bar is just clamped to the inner edge of the top of the window (If that makes sense)

So it would make sense for the rear bar to have some extra strength to clamp securely, and it is most likely for cosmetic reasons that the front bar has the extra strut?

I agree with Bill. Without the lower tie bar, or restraint to outward movement of the foot, the foot woild be pushed out allowing the top bar to bend down. Lower tie bar is in tension so can resist a lot of force. Without it the top bar and joint between it and vertical would have to be a lot stiffer.

Robert G8RPI.

Thanks Guys.

Now i've established what its for, and therefore what I can and can't do to it, I am eyeing up a 32" light bar to fit there as well as a few other select modifications to make it more useful in the coming winter weather.

Last edited:
Back