General Smell of Burning??

Currently reading:
General Smell of Burning??

chas379

72 Year Old teenager
My OH was out with her son yesterday 20 mile round trip and it was mentioned that when she opened to boot on 2 occasions she smelt burning (electrical???) no smoke evident. Her son conformed this.

I had a good look round with the boot open could not see any suspect areas re wiring also checked underneath the car. Took it out for a 10 min spin returned home, opened the boot no smell.

Has anyone had any experience of this type of occurrence as I do not want to bother the dealership at this point in time, especially when I could not detect anything.

Nov 2017 500 Anniversario Dualogic.

I would check all rear hatch electrical functions and if everything works, don’t disturb the wiring.

The ‘hot’ thing at the back of the car is the exhaust box (silencer/muffler), I’d look for a plastic bag etc. that’s blown onto it and become wrapped around/melted. Could also be some kind of under body protection that’s warmed up from unusually fast driving and dropped onto the exhaust? :)

-Alex

Last edited:
I would check all rear hatch electrical functions and if everything works, don’t disturb the wiring.

The ‘hot’ thing at the back of the car is the exhaust box (silencer/muffler), I’d look for a plastic bag etc. that’s blown onto it and become wrapped around/melted. Could also be some kind of under body protection that’s warmed up from unusually fast driving and dropped onto the exhaust? :)

-Alex

Thank you. Nice to hear from you again Alex:D

Thank you. Nice to hear from you again Alex:D

Cheers, Chas :)
My sudden renewed interest in the forum is due to my long-anticipated house sale/move to Papamoa Beach (east coast) being completed, where our 500 became my main vehicle (partner drives the Giulietta), and I decided a change to an Abarth 500C was appropriate :eek: I’m about to give the 500 Lounge a clean up and will offer it for sale.

-Alex

Last edited:
Been monitoring for a month now. Done a thorough check underneath and around exhaust. All heat shields are in place and nothing trapped or dangling.

It appears to be localised around the exhaust and sometimes you cannot detect anything. Car runs fine and you cannot detect the smell from inside the car.

1st service due in 2 months time so will let them have a look.

Back