Mine is a 1989 Ducato 2.5 turbo. Lots of these still going strong but the age does tend to show a bit, especially when it comes to emissions.

The engine breather takes the fumes that by-pass the pistons and routes it outside and away. The older the vehicle the more the by-pass and these fumes can work their way into the cab, even if the engine is still running well. They used to make my eyes run and my throat sore.

Back when this engine was designed (1975/80?) the fumes were just run out at the front, below the bumper. We now have sophisticated re-cycling systems, of course, that route the fumes back into the engine air intake.

However, in most engines, just routing the breather back in can lead to an emissions test failure unless a PCV valve is used. The good news is that is not the case with the good ol' series 1.

Tried and tested:

Just after the air filter is a sticking out clear plastic cylinder. The idea is that it shows red if the air filter is clogged.

Un-screw this unneeded item and with jubilee clip connect half a metre of old 8mm gas tube, the stuff left over from a renewing your gas bottle feeds. From there use a suitable adapter, I used a 14 to 10mm copper pipe reducer, and connect it to the engine breather pipe. Trim the old pipe as appropriate.

Now you can breathe clean air in the cab. You can use standard diesel too.

I drove the engine for a good 15 km before taking the Ducato in to be tested. Made sure the engine was warm and that the pistons had expanded well into the cylinders, in other words, and it passed with flying colours. Better values than without the mod in fact. (y)