Technical Barchetta stood for a few years.

Currently reading:
Technical Barchetta stood for a few years.

davidspain

I have barchetta 1999 I bought and took to Spain and the timing slipped so I got the engine rebuilt at fiat. It’s not been used for about 8 years and I have had it shipped over here to the u.k.
I can’t get it to start and the usual ticking behind my head has stopped.
I assume therefore the fuel pump is goosed.
I have tested the power and there is no reading from the plug. 4 wires on the plug - 2 to power the pump and 2 for the fuel level and the fuel level reading is working fine.
When I put battery direct to the pump there is no sound, so I have assumed it’s broken and ordered a cheap one from Germany to try it out.
I am however confused as to why I am not getting a 12v reading from the plug. I have reset the switch next to the drivers seat and still nothing. Any ideas where I trace this back to?

Thanks

Usually on fuel injected cars of that era the fuel Pump only runs when starter motor is cranking or when ecu detects engine is running.

The fuel pump should run as soon as the ignition is turned on and will stop when it has reached pressure. Fuses okay? Bad earth?
Steved

I am not sure which fuse is the one that drives the pump.
I have checked the fuses which are under the bonnet on the bulkhead (2 x 10 and 1 X 15 and 3 x 7.5 amp)
Could the fuse be located somewhere else ?

Yes, the switch I am talking about is the cut out switch located on the floor next to the drivers seat.

New fuel pump arrived ann had different connector - I think it's for the Punto.

I made a connector from some soldered connector pins and wired it to the Barchetta and it works.

In case it helps anyone please note the following.

I was testing for 12v at the pump connector and getting no voltage. This is because it only feeds the pump for a few seconds then stops, it then feeds the pump again when the engine is turning.
I was testing the voltage after switching on the ignition and I was obviously not quick enough - hence why I was getting no voltage :)

Car has been stood for 10 years and it just fired up nicely, so i need to strip the lights again to switch them back to RHD (I modified them when i took it over to spain) and then see how the MOT goes.

Cheers lads.

All mot’d and running well.
I swapped the fog and reversing lights but they are not completely reversible, they point up slightly, the lenses must be different for UK cars than German.

Pulled the headlights and swapped the diverter plate over. I am going to pull them again next week to give them a polish.

Just need a new roof now, but I am not sure which one to get.

New fuel pump has packed in, so I must still have some contaminated fuel and theres some nasty 'tar' like residue in the tank.
I have adapted a fiat punto fuel pump to fit (bit of a dremell around the top plastic as the metal barchetta ring is about 1mm too large to fit - bit of a dremmel on the outer plastic where the 6 bolts fix the ring down as again it's a few mm too big.)

Any ideas the best way to clean the tank ?

Back