Technical Battery dead?

Currently reading:
Technical Battery dead?

gaurav500

Morning all

Having an issue with my 2014 fiat 500 (with stop start). Was driving it around town, all good and when I parked it back at home the fob wouldn’t centrally lock the car. Thought it was strange but dismissed it thinking fob battery was dead.

However next day I tried to start the car and it wouldn’t start. Dial was displaying odometer etc but flickering. I have a jump starter kit which I used, car fired up in a few seconds. Took it out for a 30 minute drive on the motorway, parked at home and it still wouldn’t centrally lock using fob.

This morning it refused to start again. When I open the door the odometer doesn’t come on either (until I insert key in ignition, but again it’s flickering).

Any ideas if I need a new battery altogether of if I put the battery on a trickle charger for 48 h it’s salvageable?

Or could it be that the alternator is gone? When I drove the car after jump start all the electrics were working fine

Thanks !

Last edited:
Morning all

Having an issue with my 2014 fiat 500 (with stop start). Was driving it around town, all good and when I parked it back at home the fob wouldn’t centrally lock the car. Thought it was strange but dismissed it thinking fob battery was dead.

However next day I tried to start the car and it wouldn’t start. Dial was displaying odometer etc but flickering. I have a jump starter kit which I used, car fired up in a few seconds. Took it out for a 30 minute drive on the motorway, parked at home and it still wouldn’t centrally lock using fob.

This morning it refused to start again. When I open the door the odometer doesn’t come on either (until I insert key in ignition, but again it’s flickering).

Any ideas if I need a new battery altogether of if I put the battery on a trickle charger for 48 h it’s salvageable?

Or could it be that the alternator is gone? When I drove the car after jump start all the electrics were working fine

Thanks !

Hi,
Most likely to be battery. Other possibilities are bad connection to battery or alternator. You would need a voltmeter (multimeter) to diagnose further. If battery is more than 3 or 4 years old it's probably worth just changing it.

Robert G8RPI.

Thanks for the feedback!

I am looking at stop start batteries, they aren’t cheap !!

I suppose simple swap? Disconnect negative then positive and then reconnect positive first then negative ?

Got a decent yuasa stop start one for £80 from tayna with 4 year guarantee

I must also add that the current very hot weather will rapidly kill a weak battery.

Ours did about 4½ years, then died quite suddenly in the Summer of 2014.

Kev.

Stop/Start is all about the car makers "gaming" the emissions regulations. The standard test has long periods where the car is standing. Switching off the engine means zero emission for best part of half the test.
Consumers pay the real costs in short life expensive batteries, increased engine wear and on cars with ordinary starter motors increased wear in there as well.

Back