Technical 1.4 16v Rear Wheel Really Hot

Currently reading:
Technical 1.4 16v Rear Wheel Really Hot

somesickjoke

Hey guys I think my rear brake Caliper piston is seized and causing friction, has anyone used a rebuild kit and if so how hard and what’s the process. Also I regreased the runners but the top isn’t that free , when I greased the front ones the bottom pin had a collar at the end that had ridges in it but that one was at the bottom not the top like on the back, does anyone know why there is a collar also should it be at the top or bottom. Thanks in advance

Not sure what you mean by a collar. I got a new replacement caliper from eBay for about £50 for my T-Jet and that was easy enough to change. I'd not bother rebuilding one unless you really have to, it's a headache.

Have you tried removing pads and checking for any visible corrosion? They are wind back pistons on the rear rather than push back as on the front. Osr is clockwise and nsr is anti clockwise.

Strip it and wire brush anything corroded and see if you can free it off, more difficult with wind in calipers.

Cheers

Ben

When I first checked it the pads were very thin and the piston nearly all the way out, I snapped my little cube thing trying to get it back in but once i got it past half way its a lot easier to wind back. 50 quid ain’t bad I’ve seen a few part worms for half the price. The slider pin at the bottom is just a plain pin but the top has a dark grey section near the inner end of the pin that has ridges on it, I’m not sure how to clean the hole out to get the old grease out any ideas and thanks for the reply.

I’ve found a picture of what I mean.

Attachments

• C8820771-7324-4383-8CF8-AFA3A34E25CC.jpeg
    C8820771-7324-4383-8CF8-AFA3A34E25CC.jpeg
    138.7 KB · Views: 68
I'd need to see the whole lot again I think, been a while since mine was in bits.
I'd use loads of brake cleaner with a straw and if necessary, a thin tool like an Allen key with a thin cloth wrapped around it.

I got a laser wind back tool like a g clamp with attachment for under £20 from local autoparts. Works really well but I'd still go for a new one if you can. If it's been binding, it will do it again.

Cheers

Ben

Back