Technical Tipo Lounge (2017) Air Conditioning / Climate Control regas?

Currently reading:
Technical Tipo Lounge (2017) Air Conditioning / Climate Control regas?

daz_racing

Hi,

I know the model isn't that old yet, but is it normal for a March 2017 Tipo Lounge's aircon/climate control to need a regas after only a year?

It's started making a (kind of) rattling noise when the climate is turned on and it doesn't blow as cold - but it's the rattling noise that concerns me. Does anyone know if the "rattling" noise is a normal symptom of it needing a regas or could it be something more serious?

Thanks...

Not normal at all. Some manufacturers recommend every two years, others 3 years, but if used all year around should last longer than that.
If it needs regassing now you have a leak. If there is a hole in the condenser (front rad) due to a stone, that's tough, otherwise I'd expect it to be warranty.

Hi portland_bill,

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

You've kind of confirmed what I was thinking...

I've booked it in at the local dealership; see what they make of it - sounds expensive if it's the front rad, so fingers crossed it's a warranty issue.

I'd be interesting to learn how you went on.
I have same model and have concerns over a noisy a/c (rattle / rumble) which stops as soon as the a/c is turned off.
Took it back into the dealers under warranty who told me it was "normal". I admit to finding it difficult to accept, but having no other opinions then I'm stumped.

Hey tedglen,

Sure - I eventually got it sorted, but it wasn't straight forward.

Don't know about your situation, but mine sounded like someone was shaking a bag of spanners under the bonnet and no cold air, hence why I thought it just needed re-gasing.

I took it to the local dealership and was pretty surprised when they informed me that it was actually a faulty compressor. Unfortunately, I think the whole car was assembled around the compressor!

New part arrived at the dealership about 2 weeks later. It took them 6 hours to fit, BUT the new unit from Fiat was faulty - if your's is the same, ask the dealership to manually turn it over BEFORE they fit it as it could save you both a lot of messing around.

Anyhow, a few weeks passed with no contact from the dealership even after a call to remind them, I then felt the need to raised a "case" directly with Fiat.

Another few weeks passed with no contact from Fiat so I rang them - they hadn't written my telephone number down properly was their response and they were "hoping I would ring them"! Why didn't you ring the dealership was mine?! They told me the part is on the way so I let it drop! I asked Fiat if they could prioritise the fitting as I'd been waiting several mmonths by this point. Two days later the dealership rang to arrange another appointment to attempt the fitting! Only had to wait a week for their second fitting attempt.

This fitting seemed to work - so far so good - fingers crossed - touch wood - it will continue to work.

Let me know if you need any more info?

Good luck!

Thanks Darren,
The best way to describe the A/C is to say that it makes the car sound like its got a diesel engine! However, it works fine. No issues with the cooling at all.
As I said, when I took it into the dealership with concerns about the noise, they told me that it was nothing untoward, and "normal"
The car is still under warranty, but the dealership I purchased the car from no longer represents Fiat, so I'm debating whether to tout it to another dealer for their opinion.

Hmmm, doesn't sound normal. Mine when it was working before the repair and now after the repair is pretty quiet. I bought my Tipo from a different dealership from where I took for the warranty repair.
As I said, my main issue was with Fiat themselves who 1st; sent a faulty part and 2nd; forgot how to write numbers onto paper or maybe they forgot how to type numbers - I'm not sure!
Yes, I'd get it to another dealership if I were you, 'cos based on my experience, it's a git of a job to do - 6 hours apparently! I think the whole car is built around the damn compressor, so if there's nothing in it for them, I reckon they'll baulk at it.
Maybe give Fiat themselves a call; tell them your story and get a "case" raised - it's still under warranty after all. ...but get them to repeat your phone number back b4 you hang up! ;-)
A dealership might be more inclined to do something if you AND Fiat are pressing them?
Good luck...

Hi,

I know the model isn't that old yet, but is it normal for a March 2017 Tipo Lounge's aircon/climate control to need a regas after only a year?

It's started making a (kind of) rattling noise when the climate is turned on and it doesn't blow as cold - but it's the rattling noise that concerns me. Does anyone know if the "rattling" noise is a normal symptom of it needing a regas or could it be something more serious?

Thanks...

Hi,

I’d suggest you drill them well for a straight brand new part replacement.

My Grande Punto, had a similar issue, it happened in just a month from the day I bought my car, drove it slow never hard as with a new car.

But it happened, later they fixed the ac but had a horrible rattling sound and it amplified as the engine revs was horrible 2 months, they kept on saying it will be fine drive more drive but nothing.

Finally after 3 moths I told them I need a brand new ac compressor, when they told me they had to change the rings inside the compressor.

Whatever is faulty will break apart soon, better happens within warranty.

Best of luck.

Back