Technical Can't fill up the tank on my 1.3 diesel 500L

Currently reading:
Technical Can't fill up the tank on my 1.3 diesel 500L

peter806

Hey, guys!

Got the vehicle about 2 months ago and this has been happening.

When I go to fill the tank up, I can't seem to get it over 7/8th's of the full capacity of the tank (as announced by the gauge). The fuel hose automatically stops once. I try to put some more in. It automatically stops again. I don't insist further.

Is this a known issue? Should I force more and more fuel slowly until it just pours out? Not sure what to do.:confused:

I'd be looking poor at a faulty sender or gauge rather then your tank not actually being full

I could probably test it tomorrow. The tank is supposed to support 50 liters. Right now the gauge is more or less at half. I should be able to put around 25 there, right? If I can do that and the gauge says 7/8, then it's a faulty gauge, if I can only fit like 18 or so, then it's the tank?

I could probably test it tomorrow. The tank is supposed to support 50 liters. Right now the gauge is more or less at half. I should be able to put around 25 there, right? If I can do that and the gauge says 7/8, then it's a faulty gauge, if I can only fit like 18 or so, then it's the tank?

That would not be a good test. If the error is linear across the range or at the empty end of the range it will still be under reading at 1/2 tank. Only way to be sure is to drain the tank and re-fill. Either put up with the error or replace the sender. If the car has a trip computer what does that say?

Robert G8RPI.

That would not be a good test. If the error is linear across the range or at the empty end of the range it will still be under reading at 1/2 tank. Only way to be sure is to drain the tank and re-fill. Either put up with the error or replace the sender. If the car has a trip computer what does that say?

Robert G8RPI.

The car has a trip computer but it doesn't say how many liters are available in the tank, just the range, fuel consumption, etc.

The car has a trip computer but it doesn't say how many liters are available in the tank, just the range, fuel consumption, etc.

You can calculate how much fuel the trip computer thinks you have from the range and average fuel consumption. If it goes up proportionally with the amount you filled up with (it will take a mile or two to register the change.) then the sender is probably OK.

Robert G8RPI.

Have you tried withdrawing the nozle of the pump about half an inch to an inch and then trying to continue to fill.

I've owned many cars over the years that do exactly this and it's usually the fuel coming back up the pipe as the take is nearing full, causing the pump to click off.

The only way to be really sure is to brim the tank by which I mean you fill it till you can see the fuel in the filler.

Back