Technical Smoke

Currently reading:
Technical Smoke

Problem with 1.9 JTD when revs are up or am accelerating hard am getting quite a lot of gray'ish smoke and injectors sound little bit too rattly, also have too much injector sound in morning when revs above 3k rpm.

Most of time I don't need to raise revs so high and engine runs beautifully pulls strongly with no smoke as long as revs kept below about 3k rpm and fuel economy is very good. Burns/uses no oil, no overheating/water loss.

May have something to do with previous thread about draining water off fuel filter, but all the same.

Problems began after Doblo was in dealer for problem with gearbox, which meant them removing and rebuilding box. Wonder if anything might not have been reconnected properly?

All in all only really a problem when revs are up and that doesn't happen often, only when gunning it or on motorway!

Car is still under warranty but can't trust dealers to change light bulb properly!

Any advice greatly appreciated.

John
NottsCharger

If you rev mine high after not doing so for a few days mine does smoke heavy as well. Talked to a mechanic about this and he seemed to think it was just a build up of carbon or summat in exhaust and it just needing rev high to clear it out.

Gunnig past a pr&t on a short length of dual carriageway got to about too many MPH for the limit, loked in the rear view mirror, and didn't see much!. As ours is driven fairly steadily I suspect that the build up theory could be right.

Any diesel car will produce some smoke under heavy acceleration, it's only when it becomes like fog that there is a problem. It might just be a simple thing like a blocked air filter.

Oh, when i put my foot down to upset bmw owners and alike mine will give out a lovely belch of smoke, just rubs in the fact that a diesel van left them for dead.

Guess I'm worrying about nothing then, have tended to become paranoid each time Doblo has come back from Fiat Dealer. From experience they have tended to break more than they have fixed. I might be looking for trouble when none exists.

Going to get a remap done soon by Angel tuning, so they should pick up any probs at same time.

Regards

John
NottsCharger

Honest John recommends that you rev diesel engines to over 4500 rpm once month to keep them in good nick.

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/faq.htm?id=32

And as it says in the article it helps to blow out the soot - sorry to all those outside Ashford Hospital I did it to this evening when getting away from the lights :yuck: - my only excuse was that I hadn't done it for a little while and had obviously accumulated a lot of sh*t up there.

I read the link above and thought it was time to knock the cr&p out of the doblo,1.9JTD. Gave the tank a good slug of Redex diesel at the last fill and let it mix about for a day or two, then gave it a run in third up to 4 1/2 thousand revs for every bit of dual carriageway I travelled on for a day or two. The amount of soot that was blown out was embarassing for the first three runs but has now stopped and yes the car does feel a lot more responsive.
The cam belt was changed two thou ago at the last service and this with a new sump full of fresh oil gave confidence in revving the arse off the thing for a day or two. Seems to have worked, no more smoke screens when putting the boot down(y)

Back