General SUMP-Tuous

Currently reading:
General SUMP-Tuous

Toshi 975

Prominent member
Faint hearted look away now !
I have been trying to clean this sump for weeks with various methods then had an idea today whilst burning a little garden waste.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 101
Faint hearted look away now !
I have been trying to clean this sump for weeks with various methods then had an idea today whilst burning a little garden waste.

We need an after picture now! I hope it’s not a blob:D

I replaced my one with an alu one today.

I did a quick clean of the old one with raw gas, sloshed it around with the oil plug installed, and then wiped off the sludge at the bottom. Quickest way in my opinion.

The heat, I would think could lead to it bowing maybe?

I will get you a pic in time. I am now leaving it outside for a week or so to get a nice fine rust coating then it can have quick bath in phosphoric acid which will give a better matt surface to take some paint.
Don't worry about the bowing this sump had been well used and abused. Bashed in bottom, over tightened fixing screws and it was covered in crud as well as under seal & oversprayed paint.
The cooling channels were all clogged and the interesting thing was that when the fire heat got to a good temperature the oily muck in the channels caught fire and ran like a blow lamp. First thing it did was to spit out a throttle screw & spring which would have been dropped down by a spark plug opening. New one on me as I have found a number of items at the base of the tin ware when stripping down used Fiat engines. A selection of nuts , bolts & washers, spark plugs, a socket and a small spanner :)
So if your engine has an odd rattle sometimes it might be worth removing the small cover that fits between sump and the cooling fan cowling.

Coming along nicely after a couple of weeks on the roof of my shed. Acid bath next :D

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 35
Back