General Front Shocks

Currently reading:
General Front Shocks

Nadia122

Help Please.

I am looking for quotes/ prices of fitting shocks to my Fiat 1.2 Sports model. I don't appear to be having much luck in finding prices in the South London area. Can anyone please recommend somewhere. Thanks in advance

I personally have no idea if the front shocks on a 1.2 Sports model are any different from a standard 1.2, but if they are, then you can buy individual shock absorbers from the famous auction site for as little as £37 each:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BOLK-Shock-Absorber-fits-Fiat-500-1-2-1-4-1-3-D-Multijet/311979008075?hash=item48a365e04b:m:mDqXDhlodZRfpLyID2KK3AQ

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BOLK-Shock-absorber-sold-individually-FIAT-500-BOL-E061056/311918833212?hash=item489fcfae3c:g:QxIAAOSwXeJaupY4

or:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2X-GENUINE-MONROE-SHOCK-ABSORBER-GAS-FRONT-FIAT-500-C-07/382236348848?hash=item58ff0fd1b0:g:8-AAAOSwZapZyibB

Personally, I'm a fan of Bilstein shocks, you get what you pay for.

Living in London is not going to help you any on cost, one of the perks I guess of living in the Capital.

You could start by looking here: https://www.goodgaragescheme.com/

Or you could search for a mobile mechanic whose overheads will be a little cheaper.

I'm guessing if you get a garage to do the job, you won't get much change out of £300. It all depends on what condition the top mounts and coil springs are in as well, which could see the price go up further. In any case, I would be reluctant to have just one side replaced, especially if the car has lots of miles on it. You should ideally always have suspension components replaced in pairs.

What year is your car, how many miles on it and who has told you that you require new shocks? Has the car failed its MoT?

I respect John202020's mechanical knowledge, which is probably, almost as good ast mine :devil:, but if you're not mechanically minded and you don't have the tools, then you have no choice but to get someone who knows what they are doing to do the job. And trust me, nothing ever goes exactly according to plan, they'll always be something that crops up that you weren't prepared for.

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Help Please.

I am looking for quotes/ prices of fitting shocks to my Fiat 1.2 Sports model. I don't appear to be having much luck in finding prices in the South London area. Can anyone please recommend somewhere. Thanks in advance

To give you an idea of whats involved this is my guide, if doing the shocks(how old is your car?) I would recommend replacing everything ! especially if you're keeping the car for some time, that's everything in the picture and personally the front control arms if say over 4 years old.

https://www.fiatforum.com/500-guides/440891-front-shock-absorber-replacement.html

Rear shocks fail early too and are(as most parts are for the 500 as they require a fair share of new bits) cheap.

Last edited:
Try "clickmechanic" though they're easy to do yourself

ManyThanks. I tried click mechanic and the quote was £360 for the front shocks.
There's no way I could do them myself. Ive had quotes for £288, £ 323, £426 and will ring ATS tomorrow as they can't help with a quote this late in the day.
I might go for the cheapest quote at the garage that I normally use.
I will let you know what happens, if its ok with you.
Once again. Thanks for the moment.

That's very decent of you to recommend the mobile mechanic in Hayes. A bit too far though. Yes I know he's mobile.
Thanks a lot.

Thanks a lot.
It's a 2009 model with 39k on the clock. It was the garage that normally deals with my 500 that suggested they were going over a year ago?
You certainly feel going over bumps, even slowly.
The car did not fail it's last Mot. I'm sure it will, now.

Thanks a lot.
It's a 2009 model with 39k on the clock. It was the garage that normally deals with my 500 that suggested they were going over a year ago?
You certainly feel going over bumps, even slowly.
The car did not fail it's last Mot. I'm sure it will, now.

Ours is a 09 too the shocks etc were "shocking " in condition hence the need to replace.

ManyThanks. I tried click mechanic and the quote was £360 for the front shocks.
There's no way I could do them myself. Ive had quotes for £288, £ 323, £426 and will ring ATS tomorrow as they can't help with a quote this late in the day.
I might go for the cheapest quote at the garage that I normally use.
I will let you know what happens, if its ok with you.
Once again. Thanks for the moment.

I had the front shocks done and the top mounts and drop links replaced at 2 1/2 years cost £450 using Monroe Gas shocks, Fiat Top mounts and Drop links.. The local independent tyre/brakes/suspension guys to me at the time in Hemel Hempstead did an excellent job and the car drove better than it did when new.

Couldn´t stand the clonks and the main dealer reckoned everything was fine! Shame about the knackered drop links and passenger side top mount

The top mounts should be replaced along with the drop links at the same time, as they are removed anyhow!

I had the front shocks done and the top mounts and drop links replaced at 2 1/2 years cost £450 using Monroe Gas shocks, Fiat Top mounts and Drop links.. The local independent tyre/brakes/suspension guys to me at the time in Hemel Hempstead did an excellent job and the car drove better than it did when new.

Couldn´t stand the clonks and the main dealer reckoned everything was fine! Shame about the knackered drop links and passenger side top mount

The top mounts should be replaced along with the drop links at the same time, as they are removed anyhow!

Many Thanks for that. I will see what sort of price I pay in the end. I think I will go with the garage that normally looks after my car.

Back