Technical Gearbox - very hard to select 1st and 2nd when warm

Currently reading:
Technical Gearbox - very hard to select 1st and 2nd when warm

Metrik

Whenever the engine is warm and the weather is warm, I find it very hard to select 1st and 2nd gear on my 2008 Grande Punto 1.3 JTD and it is getting worse.

The gear lever simply refuse to go all the way to 1st or 2nd and feels quite "dry" and difficult to move. Sometimes, I have to almost slam it into place to have the gear engage and a very slight grinding is heard. The hotter the weather, the worse.

My auto workshop has renewed the clutch, but it did not help. I think they renewed the gear cables as well, but still the issue exist. Gear oil level is fine. They are in doubt what to do. I haven't brought the car to a Fiat dealer workshop yet.

Can you please advice what could be wrong? To me, something in the selector feels like it is worn and due to sloppyness, the gear cannot fully engage.

Possibly related: the gear stick cannot return to the middle position (neutral) by itself. It is very sticky and feels "dry", which makes for a very poor experience selecting gears in this thing.

Last edited:
It is relatively easy to disconnect the (2) cables @ gearbox side. Once disconnected You'll be able to isolate the problem to the gearbox itself or the lever/cables.

- If coming from the gearbox, remove the selector cover and You'll see if it comes from Inside the gearbox (bent forks) or from the selection mechanism itself... This is done from top, under the bonnet

- If not coming from the gearbox, disconnect the (2) cables on the lever side and you will see if it comes from the cable(s) or from the lever itself and take the necessary action... This is done from underneath the car.

BRs, Bernie

If someone here helped You fix -or better, understand- your issue, hit the thanks icon @ bottom right corner, it's free and makes us feel helpy ;-)

Attachments

• 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    67.9 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:
Bernie, thanks a lot for your input. I will discuss it with my mechanic and see where it takes us.

Check where the cables connect to the gear box,I may be wrong but I don't think the picture is correct for your 1.3 diesel. On some,there is a relay linkage with a 17 mm nut and bolt throu it. Remove the cables,remove relay linkage held on with three 13mm bolts. Remove the 17mm nut and knock out the shaft, it has two white bushes on shaft. Remove bushes and clean up shaft with emery cloth and housing till the shaft rotates freely with bushes in place. And refit,over tighten the 17mm nut may tighten the movement so don't over tighten. This should cure your stiff lever issue,and may cure 1st and 2nd.

Back