Technical Electric hood problems

Currently reading:
Technical Electric hood problems

puntoy

I need some help.
My electric hood doesn't work on my cabrio.
The 40a fuse under the bonnet is ok.
When I press 'open' on the roof switch, there is a noise from the motor in the boot.
The bypass tap in the boot is fully closed tight (clockwise).
I havnt checked the hydraulic fluid level yet.
Just hoping someone could give me some more ideas please.

Thanks.

Sorry, I have a Cabrio (there are not many of us), but have never had a problem with the operation of the roof. When you say the motor makes a noise, is the noise that of the motor running? Are you able to lift the roof manually with the tap in its normal position i.e. when the resistance of the hydraulic system should prevent it from moving? If it does, it may be a lack of hydraulic fluid.

Hi. I have some news.
I opened the roof manually to around half way.
I looked down in the gaps and to my surprise/shock, I found that both the n/s and o/s rams were not connected to the roof!
Talk about finding skeletons in the closet.
So I guess I will connect them up and give it another go.
Hydraulic levels are ok.

Just a bit frustrated at finding these hidden problems.

I just connected up the rams.
Changed the roof switch for the drivers side passenger window switch.
Closed the roof manually.
Turned the boot tap clockwise til closed.
Then managed to lift/open the roof about 12 inches via the switch.
I didn't want to keep lifting it as the rams are not bolted on at the moment, just on the threads.
So I will get some nylock bolts and secure the rams, then try again.

The switch would not lower/close the roof, just a quick click noise could be heard.

So am I right in thinking there is a relay for opening the roof.
And another relay for closing the roof?

If so, it may just be the 'closing relay' that's broken.

Again, if anyone has some info, that would be great.

Thanks in advance.....

Last edited:
You should have 4 relays in the boot near the pump,
check the left one.

Check the bottom one on the left or any of them

Attachments

• 20180523_084536.jpg
    20180523_084536.jpg
    8.8 MB · Views: 104
Having just read this thread it relates to my current problem. On my Punto there are only three relays in the boot, rather than four. This must be right as the roof worked before it went into storage. How much fluid is"enough"?
I intend to do a full circuit check once I receive the manual from Italy.
Does anyone have a wiring diagram or the roof operating instructions that they could share?

The only manual that cover the roof is the official one from fiat. you can buy a copy on DVD from ebay. If I remember correct there was a modification to the roof electrics and this may be why you only have 3 relays.

Also the handbrake has an extra switch for the roof circuit so even if the light on the dash is on the other switch may be faulty. Another little known gem is that there is a relay that checks that the cover isnt fitted once the roof is down.

I bought the dvd one off eBay, just waiting for it to arrive. I have removed the gear gaiter and tested the brake switch which seems to work, although the dash light doesn't illuminate. I can only see the one switch below the handbrake. Are you saying that there is another one? If so where is it?
I have bought a new roof switch, just in case, but I have yet to remove the roof housing to check for power. How much fluid is in your reservoir, mine is only around 70 mm from the bottom?

P.S Thanks for the helpful info

Having now got the Fiat manual for the Punto, I can answer my own questions and, maybe help others along the way.
The reason for my low hydraulic fluid level is because the hood is up and the pipes are filled with fluid.
Apparently, the marks on the container are Min and Max levels. Minimum with the hood up and Maximum with the hood folded down.
The wiring for the hood mechanism changed sometime after 1996. Earlier ones had a feed from the ignition switch, whilst later ones didn't. The wiring diagram is for the later ones.
I haven't sussed out the location of the safety buttons just yet.

Attachments

• IMG_20210727_162556.jpg
    IMG_20210727_162556.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 49
I owe a cabrio and left these messages on 2018.

Roof WON'T open and WON'T make any sound unless you see the handbrake light on the dash/cluster.
Even though handbrake is applied.
that's something with the switch.

If you DO hear sound, oil levels should be on MIN when the roof is up position.
and should be on MAX when the roof is down/open.

Thanks chesh. I am trying to go through the roof circuit, but the car is on SORN and parked in a friends
garage, so it's not easy to work on and I don't want the roof to raise in the garage. I have still got to work out how to reset the ECU without driving it, as I have removed the battery to charge it at home. There is also an injector light showing on the dash, which needs setting before I can take it for an MOT.
I have checked the handbrake switch and, according to my multimeter, it is working properly, but I still have no light on the dash. Might be connected to the ECU, or might just be a bulb.
If, as you say, the light needs to be on on the dash, then I suspect that my problem will be no power to the switch.
If only I had space in my own garage life would be much easier. But, if I made space, I wouldn't have any
tools to work on it��

A quick test of the bulb on the dash would be to press the switch on the brake fluid cap. They use the same light.

I may have confused you a little. From memory there is only 1 switch but two sets of wires. one for the light on the dash an the other to the roof circuit.

The "safety buttons" are the little bits that the roof cover attach to. It stops you raising the hood with the cover in place.

Back