Technical Same old power steering fault

Currently reading:
Technical Same old power steering fault

adamwills1982

Hi All,

I appreciate that this topic has been covered several times, to say the least, but I'm concerned about the possible cures, as I am unable to consider the worst case scenarios.
I have a basic code reader and I think it was code U1700?

My power steering has failed completely, driveable but very heavy.
City function seems to be stuck on.

Steering is normal with no warning light first thing in the morning, but instantly goes back to faulty.

My question(s) is, should I look at
Steering motor?
Steering ECU?
Relays?
Steering column?

I cannot afford to purchase the software and I cannot afford calibration.

I understand it must be frustrating to see people ask the same question over and over, but its probably not as frustrating as having a faulty car that you cant afford to repair.

Many, many, many thanks in advance

Last edited:
Re: Electric Power Steering Failure

Ref the steering concern (will produce a U1700 error code, power steering node can not communicate with the body computer via CAN) and odds on will also detect a battery voltage issue in the ABS Module

The starter motor clicking out is also a known related concern ive found along side the steering concern

Check your battery and ull prob find you have a 250 or 300 both of which have been modified part numbers to 350 now.

Tou to get it changed under warranty the midtronic's used by your dealers will require the battery to state that its faulty and require replacement (Most of which do). Others may simply require a good charge

But from experience of these, Battery always fixes both concern's

Worst case scenario, have had 1 where the starting concern had gone un-reported and the starter motor chewed up the ring gear... Ended up needing a new starter, flywheel and battery

FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Does that refer to the amperae of the battery???

Cheers

Sorry for the very delayed response.
After checking the fuses and spraying all the connections, and putting a bigger battery on, touch wood, The power steering fault appears to have been resolved.

Many thanks for the help

I cant believe I tempted fate by posting that last night. Low and behold, the power steering just failed!!!!

The main issue is you’re trying to fix a problem blind and on a shoe string, you need to accept what ever the cause, somewhere along the line you are going to need to spend some money.

You’ll need a new battery, a new steering motor or to get the codes read or buy the stuff to read codes yourself, these systems don’t throw up faults for no reason at all and it’s almost unheard of that you can fix the fault with a bit of contact cleaner.

The other thing to consider is that if you are continuing to drive the car, then as it stands it’s in an unroadworthy state.

There have been people on this forum who have had very serious accidents because of transient steering problems, switching off power halfway round a corner.

It really isn’t something you should be playing about with in the hope it goes away.

From your other posts regarding knackered suspension bushings and broken window problems, it sounds like a shed, you can’t scrimp on safety critical components, you could kill yourself or at worst someone else

Last edited:
without knowing the year and model of your car there is no way it can be even considered that you can be helped on an internet forum

I appreciate your feedback, and apologies, I thought I had stated the year make and model.
Its a 2004 punto 1.3 16v Dynamique. Although it doesn't sound like that matters now.
Having replaced the battery, I genuinely am not in a position to be able to spend more on a car that could continue to go wrong.

also, I have access to a code reader, which gave U1700. Thats not specific enough is it?
The mot is up next month, I only paid £350 for the car and the front bumper needs replacing and it has airbag failure warning. Is it worth even contemplating looking at the work?

also, I have access to a code reader, which gave U1700. Thats not specific enough is it?
The mot is up next month, I only paid £350 for the car and the front bumper needs replacing and it has airbag failure warning. Is it worth even contemplating looking at the work?

the same diagnostic kit to read the PAS will tell you why the Airbag light is on, ;)

front bumper shouldn't be MOT fail in itself. unless its REALLY loose , or a danger to pedestrians.

so - where is the "Renault interiored" Punto based..??:confused:

I'm around Oxford .. and Cardiff

I cant believe I tempted fate by posting that last night. Low and behold, the power steering just failed!!!!

Hi read other posts on this fporum about the faults. For steering try the jumpsleads between battery negative and chassis and engine block test.

Airbag light is MOT failure too. There are common issues, again do some searching, reading on here.

Robert G8RPI.

If the steering issue is intermittent, how will I know if the jump lead test works?
ie, if the steering is currently ok, as it is now, the jump lead test would show any difference would it?

If the steering issue is intermittent, how will I know if the jump lead test works?
ie, if the steering is currently ok, as it is now, the jump lead test would show any difference would it?

Correct. You need to carry the jump leads and try them if the fault appears.

Robert G8RPI.

the same diagnostic kit to read the PAS will tell you why the Airbag light is on,

front bumper shouldn't be MOT fail in itself. unless its REALLY loose , or a danger to pedestrians.

so - where is the "Renault interiored" Punto based..??

I'm around Oxford .. and Cardiff

I'm in Barry.
What do you mean Renault interior?

hi now i know its an 04 that means large headlight model
so
these cars after a time go faulty on the torque sensor this is why it can be intermittant
ive never had to replace a motor or steering ecu
so long as the battery is on top of the job and the alternator too then its the downshaft that needs changing
if you keep the car and decide to change it then come back and i can show you how to save heaps of money before you buy anything
once the airbag ecu shows a fault you will need a resetting tool like mes to get the light out to get an mot
bumper must not be a cause of concern for the mot man too

thank you, that is very helpful.
Im going to get a shock absorber from ebay for £16 to make it safer, and then I will definitely message you to try and address the steering issue.

Thanks again

Adam

Back